Collet/Bit Safety

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Tyrolean
Model of CNC Machine: CamTech Z7

Collet/Bit Safety

Post by Tyrolean »

Greetings, Recently had my Camtech Z7 retooled to run woodworking operations. So I am a beginner, and have had virtually no training from my retool consultant because of travel time constraints. Anyway, I expect to be here quite often as I am running into many, many problems already. So, my first question to pose that raised an eyebrow for me is this: My collets are in metric and my bits are Imperial. Should my collets be the same as my bits for a more uniform fit and safety?

Thanks for any info. :)

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Collet/Bit Safety

Post by martin54 »

Although they often say that collets have a clamping range I personally prefer to make sure I am using the correct size collets for the bit I am using so have both metric & imperial collets for my er20 spindle. Collets are a consumable item, they are not really expensive so for me it makes sense to make sure I use the size collet that corresponds to the shank diameter

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Think about this way: Why have something like that constantly nagging at the inner recesses of your brain?

Collets are inexpensive.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Tyrolean
Model of CNC Machine: CamTech Z7

Post by Tyrolean »

Thanks for responding. And yes, I'm a Virgo, a perfectionist, was told so to a fault. So i relented when I was told the current metric collets would be fine. [ me being carefree, lol]. But that nagging Man,....just gets to me! :) Thanks guys I feel safer!