Tapered ball nose cutters

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Len-Tikular
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home made revision 3

Tapered ball nose cutters

Post by Len-Tikular »

What advantage would I have if I used 1/" tapered ball nose cutters rather than the straight forward 1/8" ball nose. ?
I see that the Tuscan Grape Clock used the tapered cutter.

Thanks

George
Len-Tikular (A glider pilots dream cloud)

Aspire 10.5
Mach4 Hobby
Ess Smoothstepper + C11g+C10s

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Tapered ball nose cutters

Post by mtylerfl »

You can use either Tapered or straight. A Tapered Bit is stronger (against breakage), less flex as compared to a straight bit running the same pass depths and feed rate.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Tapered bits also tend to be longer, allowing deeper cuts.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

If you use a tapered ball nose cutter to cut pockets, there will be a sloped wall instead of a vertical 90 degree wall like you would get with a standard end mill or router bit. There are a few times that I have done this for the desired effect, as with raised text with sloped sides.

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I do hope that the advantages of a tapered ball nose cutter does not go understated. It is far superior to a straight ball noes cutter for reasons stated above and more.

WELL worth the money.

You can get "decent" ball nose cutters from drillman1 on EBAY. They have been used by several members here with decent results. Someone that depends on a high quality cutter and in business and depending on the cutters to perform flawlessly may not use these cutters. For the hobbyist they work well enough. The money saved is appreciated.

I use tapered ball nose cutters as a goto tool.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

Have used tapered ballnose cutters for 10 years. Would not use straight cutters for carving because of the superior strength and length of cut for the tapered cutters. I use cutters with a small taper and have never had issues with vertical sides...Aspire doesn't carve verticals well anyway so I avoid them.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

newmexico
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by newmexico »

Are you gentlemen recommending ball nose cutters for all kinds of cutting?
Even fine detail designs?

2d or 3d?

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Use the best tool for the job. In some cases it might be a tapered ballnose, In other cases it won't.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

newmexico wrote:Are you gentlemen recommending ball nose cutters for all kinds of cutting?

2d or 3d?
I recommend them for all types of 3D cutting as long as a slightly tapered wall is not an issue.

For fine details they are the go to choice. I have some that are .25mm (.0098in) radii. That particular one has a taper of about 5 degrees. In fine work which usually also has a shallow depth of cut that 5 degrees is not noticeable. If you are cutting .125 deep, the difference between top and bottom is about .010. Think two human hairs or two sheets of paper. My 1mm cutter has a 2.2 degree taper per side.

BTW, when modeling it is always good practice to do two things, the first is to put a slight draft angle on the model, the second is to a bit of smoothing. Sharp edges may look really cool on the computer screen but they are not the best for cutting.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

No,

My Tapered ball nose cutters cost is in the 30-35 dollar range, not counting the EBAY cutters

I can get 1/4 end mills for 12-24 dollars. Same with 1/8 and others.

I have 1/32, 1/16, 1/8 tapered ball nose cutters --- mostly used on relief cutting (3D) This is a best use tool here.

I use the less expensive straight cutters in pockets, cutouts slots or anywhere the best tool is a straight tool.

Of course ALL rules are MADE to be BROKEN.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Same as Leo I have & use both tapered & straight shank ball nose bits, like Gerry has said I try to use what I think will be the best bit for the job, doubt I am always right but it works for me :lol: :lol:
Generally for anything requiring finer detail (below about 2mm diameter)then I would use a tapered bit simply because I know I can run it faster & reduce machining time.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

newmexico wrote:Are you gentlemen recommending ball nose cutters for all kinds of cutting?

2d or 3d?
3D yes, 2D no. They can be used for 2D but generally not the optimum tool for the job. 3D I know of nothing better for "detail", which can be a subjective, relative term. Any details depends primarily on the size of the project, size of the bit and stepover. Just be prepared to watch your time go way, way up as detail increases, quality is neither cheap nor quick.

Would recommend anyone to get a quality bit vs cheap ebay imports, you get what you pay for https://www.precisebits.com/
Doug

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Leo wrote:Of course ALL rules are MADE to be BROKEN.
Leo, you're giving me a headache trying to break this rule. Sounds like a catch-22.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

I have both the expensive taper bits and the cheap ebay imports.

Honestly? I use the cheap ones the most. I do not see any differences in quality of cuts.

Something to think about, for about 17 bucks a person can get a set of .25mm .50mm .75mm and 1mm and give them a try. If you are happy with the results you can buy a second set for spares and be way ahead. If you are unhappy with them then you can use them for less demanding projects.

The old adage that "you get what you pay for" is not always true. Sounds good though! :D

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

LittleGreyMan wrote:
Leo wrote:Of course ALL rules are MADE to be BROKEN.
Leo, you're giving me a headache trying to break this rule. Sounds like a catch-22.
Hmmm, I never thought Rules were meant to broken, rather I always viewed them as suggestions or guidelines.