Possible Pocket Bug in 9.514

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Possible Pocket Bug in 9.514

Post by jimwill2 »

I sent an e-mail to Vectric support but I thought I would share to the forum. I updated to 9.514 and then opened the file I have been working on.
solid toolpath in 2d for pocket.jpg
When I ran a preview of the pocket toolpaths and I get a strip of material just inside the lower edge of the pockets.
incomplete pocket preview.jpg

If I change from Raster to offset it clears completely. I made a new box and created a pocket toolpath and it cleared just fine. All boxes have "normal" fillets on the corners. I moved the original boxes one click - top box up and lower box down - and the top box cleared and the lower had material top and bottom.
Preview after creating two new boxes.jpg

I'm a little perplexed. I love Aspire and Vectric! I can't imagine how difficult it is to debug Aspire.
Jim Williams

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Possible Pocket Bug in 9.514

Post by 4DThinker »

I've also updated, and tried to duplicate your file size and the box sizes but haven't been able to duplicate the problem. You might try uninstalling Aspire and re-downloading it from your portal to re-install.

4D

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Try changing your Stepover for the Bit by a small amount and see if that fixes it.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimwill2 »

You nailed it Michael. I'm cutting corafoam so I had the stepover at 90%. I changed it to 85% and it cleared it. It only caused a problem on the box I created before the update. If I moved the box to another area it was fine at 90%. Go figure. Thanks!
Jim Williams

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Excellent. Glad that did the trick.

I’ve seen this behavior before ( both for Pockets and for Roughing) but it is rare. Saw it the first time about 7 or 8 years ago. Changing the stepover seems to fix it. Interesting that you chose 85% (an odd number). I almost suggested using an odd number - I noticed years ago that odd numbers work better than even numbers when encountering this.

I believe it has to do with “the math” calculations for the bit to fit inside a closed shape @ a certain stepover percentage. Like I mentioned, it’s rare, but I think the calculations sometimes make the Bit stepover “skip a beat”, so to speak.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimwill2 »

My concern was that the file was working fine before the patch, then after it gave me the issue. I hope that is the end of it for me. Thanks, again.
Jim Williams

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Jim...
It's not the update. That pocketing bug has been there for close to ten years. Apparently it can't be fixed. I hope so, as the alternatives are much less desirable.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com