Nesting

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Damo
Model of CNC Machine: Procam

Nesting

Post by Damo »

Im thinking of buying aspire, i have design software already, i just want to use aspire for extra capabilities and to convert my drawings into the toolpath etc for my cnc machine.

Is the software capable of automatically optimizing all the parts to minimal wasteage? Or do i have to manually place the parts on each sheet?

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Nesting

Post by gkas »

Yes, it has nesting.

Damo
Model of CNC Machine: Procam

Post by Damo »

Yes, but is it automatic

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Yes it will nest parts for you, not something I have used a lot but believe some on the forum do. You can download the trial version & try it for yourself to see if it does exactly what you want before buying :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's fully automatic with multiple sheets and the ability to semi-automatically (one button press) calculate toolpaths from those sheets. I use it every day in my business and wouldn't be without it. It's a true shape nesting system so it's best used with shapes that would be very hard or time consuming to nest manually. If you're doing cabinets etc then you can get marginally better results by using the manual tools.

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

Nesting requires jumping through some hoops for double sided parts.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I use the nesting occasionally and I like it. Sometimes I can get one more piece on there but not too often.

Playing around a little and using the solid toolpath preview and you can get it dialed in nicely.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

I use nesting all the time, in a similar way to Adrian. It works well. There have been a few cases with odd shapes where a little tuning by hand produced better outcomes, but in general it's just run and go.

I've also done nesting with 2-sided jobs. The hoops are not too onerous as long as you put each side in separate layers, move the back layers to the front (or vice versa), and then group each part (both sides) before nesting. Once nesting is done you can ungroup and move the opposite side layers back where they belong.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

the ability to semi-automatically (one button press) calculate toolpaths from those sheets
If I make a single design with multiple toolpaths and then make six copies of that item, how do I get identical toolpaths applied to each?
Tried looking in Aspire's help, but couldn't find anything.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Mike-S wrote:If I make a single design with multiple toolpaths and then make six copies of that item, how do I get identical toolpaths applied to each?
Not sure I understand the question. Does the "six copies of them" apply to the "single design" or the "multiple toolpaths"? and is "each" related to "them"?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Mike-S wrote:
the ability to semi-automatically (one button press) calculate toolpaths from those sheets
If I make a single design with multiple toolpaths and then make six copies of that item, how do I get identical toolpaths applied to each?
You create one item using toolpaths automatically associated to layers for each of the toolpaths. You then nest and use the recalculate all to create all the toolpaths for the items on that sheet.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hello,
Damo wrote:Im thinking of buying aspire, i have design software already, i just want to use aspire for extra capabilities and to convert my drawings into the toolpath etc for my cnc machine.

Is the software capable of automatically optimizing all the parts to minimal wasteage? Or do i have to manually place the parts on each sheet?
Why not simply download the trial version and see if it suits your needs?

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

You create one item using toolpaths automatically associated to layers for each of the toolpaths. You then nest and use the recalculate all to create all the toolpaths for the items on that sheet.
OK, looks like layers is the key.
Thanks Adrian, Will give that a try.

DLWOODWORKS
Vectric Apprentice

Post by DLWOODWORKS »

Adrian wrote:It's fully automatic with multiple sheets and the ability to semi-automatically (one button press) calculate toolpaths from those sheets. I use it every day in my business and wouldn't be without it. It's a true shape nesting system so it's best used with shapes that would be very hard or time consuming to nest manually. If you're doing cabinets etc then you can get marginally better results by using the manual tools.
What is the one button press you mentioned to calculate toolpaths across the sheets? Never seen this and I use nesting a lot in my business as well.

DLWOODWORKS
Vectric Apprentice

Post by DLWOODWORKS »

Adrian wrote:
Mike-S wrote:
Sorry Adrian. Just saw your replies to this. :oops: