Toolpath preview not matching actual routed sign

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
treverinterstate
Model of CNC Machine: Industrial CNC

Toolpath preview not matching actual routed sign

Post by treverinterstate »

I have an Industrial CNC router 510 using Aspire to build the files, save them as gcode and putting them in Mach3 software to be routed. I am completely new to routing and everything I'm learning is from forum's or YouTube videos, and trial and error. I'm trying to cut a 3d sign with a wood grain background. I tried layering vector files in over the background but found just a regular .jpeg image works the best. In my preview it showed it was going to cut exactly like I wanted. See attached photos. First, I didn't do the 3d roughing and I used a ballnose bit. Some where the file switched and the woodgrain changed directions and it didn't cut the file right at all. Then I did a 3d roughing using a 1/8 endmil I think I had it set to a machining allowance at .1 because I watched a video that said you should set it to the size of your tool and it cut very little then I did the 3d finishing used a .5" v-bit. and it went all the way thru the board. I edited the file from .5 inch material to .3/8 inch hoping it wouldn't go all the way thru but it still did the same thing. So I changed the 3d roughing file tool settings 0 machining allowance and it was going to cut more of the background out but it gets almost to the end and it starts routing the same file over the other one?! I can't figure out why it keeps changing?! Any help is appreciated!
Thanks.
Attachments
Toolpath preview
Toolpath preview

treverinterstate

Re: Toolpath preview not matching actual routed sign

File cuts twice
File cuts twice
This is the same file in the same day with no stops it gets to the top and it starts cutting just the top area again. It was set on a conventional climb so it makes no sense to me at all.
Attachments
Woodgrain background switches direction
Woodgrain background switches direction
close up of woodgrain
close up of woodgrain
cuts too deep
cuts too deep

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Post by jimwill2 »

It is really difficult for us to help you unless you post the Aspire file you have created. Welcome to CNC... it will teach you how to cuss.
Jim Williams

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I'm with Jim on this: not enough information (once untangled from the description) to go by.

You talked about using vectors and a JPEG file but are using 3D roughing and finishing toolpaths. But those toolpaths imply a 3D model---whether modelled within Aspire or elsewhere and imported.

The screen-shot attached is not the same as the toolpath preview. When you finished previewing the toolpath there is a "Save Preview Image" button available.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

No offense intended, but it sounds to me like you are biting off way more than you can chew at this point.

The worst thing someone just getting started can do is tackle a complex project with the idea that they will learn much faster by tackling it all at once. Bad move.

"I am completely new to routing and everything I'm learning is from forum's or YouTube videos"

Be careful with that. Bouncing around videos and forums can cause problems. There are lots of self styled experts who just know that whatever they do is the absolute best method. Baloney. Stick with the Vectric tutorials, those are done by experts. Use this forum as you are now doing.

When you are new it is hard to tell what is going sometimes. For instance, trying a different tool but forgetting to either set a new Z zero or even using it with the wrong tool path.

Slow down, get methodical.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

treverinterstate

I did watch the Vectric tutorials, and others using Vectric on YouTube. The router didn't come with any information on how to get started, so I felt like those were the best options but they don't really cover everything and seem to be made for people who understand more than just the basics. I'm definitely a fish out of water here, I am completely lost and just when I think I have something figured out, I don't.
TReischl wrote: When you are new it is hard to tell what is going sometimes. For instance, trying a different tool but forgetting to either set a new Z zero or even using it with the wrong tool path.

I didn't set a new zero when I changed tools on the one that it cut through, so that makes a lot of sense. I just switched the tools out and continued. Next time I will know, I just assumed since I had them together that Vectric would know. With all the technology these days, I just assumed it would be that simple.

Still confused on the others, like why it switched direction and why it starting cutting again.

Here's the toolpath previews.

Thanks
Attachments
toolpath roughing preview
toolpath roughing preview
toolpath finshing preview
toolpath finshing preview

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Download the introduction to CNC PDF from here - https://www.vectric.com/support/Introduction-to-cnc - that will make many things a lot clearer.

You're best to stick with the tutorials and videos from the Tutorial Video Browser on the Aspire Help menu (and on the http://support.vectric.com site) to start with. A lot of the YouTube videos use out of date software and some, as mentioned, are made by people who really have got the completely wrong end of the stick and "explain" very complex ways of doing simple things. Until you've got more experience you won't know the difference and you'll just confuse yourself.

I'd say that sign is pretty advanced for the level of knowledge you have (your first tool change job after all) so I'd advise stepping back to something a bit simpler and moving on once you've mastered each step.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi,

If you need help with how to run your router, tech support, etc., it looks like you can get assistance via the manufacturer’s website:

https://industrialcnc.com

I hope that helps!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I have to agree with the others here. It sounds like you need to learn some of the basics before jumping into a relatively complex sign such as the one you are trying to do.

The authentic Vectric tutorials are very good and can help you understand how to do this stuff.

There is a difference between "watching" a tutorial and studying a tutorial. At least in the basics you should study them.

Often times I will go back and study some of the tutorials again and again.

Also - the BEST way for us to see what you are doing is to post the vectric file you are working with. Particularly when a beginner, you cannot describe the problem clearly enough to be understood. Also, it sounds like you have a myriad of things wrong. We cannot help you to sort that out if we don't have good solid information -- like the vectric file. NOT the g-code - that does not help us at all. We need to see the vectric file.

We all certainly WANT to help you - but you need to help us with better information.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

One thing to keep in mind as you work through this learning process:

It never ends.

I have been working with NC and CNC equipment since the last century, circa 1974. Just the other night I was re watching some tutorials because the simple fact of the matter is none of us know it all. I sure as heck don't.

Another thing to remember is that even experienced folks screw up on a regular basis. It usually happens just about when we decide we really know what we are doing.

Before I forget: TRUST the preview, always! I have been hanging around here for over 10 years now, I cannot recall there ever being a flaw in the software in regards to the preview. So if it looks good in the preview then it will cut good provided you do what you are supposed to do setting tools, feedrates, etc.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns