Strange glitch when merged components overlap

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Gnarly Gnu
Vectric Craftsman

Strange glitch when merged components overlap

Post by Gnarly Gnu »

Door mid.pdf
(409.76 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Seems when two 'merged' components overlap Aspire reverts to 'add' mode? I'm getting this strange effect and so far haven't been able to correct it or create a work-around. Unless maybe by manually filing / sanding off the bump after machining... Effectively I have a model with some stems covered over with a small 'tie' exactly as with a Fleur-de-lis and the little tie is giving me hours of grief today. I've been using the 'create shape' tool, also tried two rail sweep, it has the same problem.

Pretty sure this would have happened to other folk, any suggestions appreciated thanks!

PS just for clarity the tie covers two stem components - the component in 'add' mode seems fine, the bump projecting upwards in the image relates to the stem component in 'merge' mode.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Strange glitch when merged components overlap

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Chris,

I’m sure the issue is due to how the components are grouped/combined/ordered in the component list.

Unfortunately, a PDF photo isn’t very useful in tracking down the problem for you. Perhaps you can post your actual file (or a link to download it from). Then we can help troubleshoot the component list and make corrections.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Gnarly Gnu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gnarly Gnu »

Thanks Michael, yes seems you are right - if I shift the tie component across various levels the glitch does behave in different ways but doesn't disappear. I'm not knowledgeable enough of the component list intricacies at this point of my Aspire learning curve so the file is probably a bit messy in that area. Baked or unbaked components didn't appear to change things.

The file is too big to upload here so I'll attempt to set up a link or maybe DM if possible.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

One tip that may be helpful...

Sometimes you can think of your components in terms of “groups”. What I mean is, take the fleur and bow tie, for example...

Turn off everything except those components, then set your Merge styles for the fleur and bow tie so those two components look correct. Now, Group those components.

Once that’s done, you can set the appropriate Merge style for the Group itself, while not disturbing the Merge relationship between the fleur and bow tie contained within the Group. This helps to give you control over how the Group relates to the rest of your components when you turn them back on. You may or may not need to move the Group to a higher or lower order/position in the list to have it Merge correctly with the other components.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Gnarly Gnu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gnarly Gnu »

Thanks Michael,

the file is too big to post here and for some reason I'm unable to DM you... will keep exploring the 'component tree' as you suggest.

Chris

Gnarly Gnu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gnarly Gnu »

OK finally sorted this with the helpful advice above, thank you! It came down to the component order in the 'tree'. Baking or grouping didn't seem to have any effect but by juggling the component locations about in a random fashion I was finally able to make the problem disappear. This was an odd one, probably I need to learn more about how the component list functions. My 3D modelling is pretty average compared to the pro's here and not 100% happy with the result but it's passable. Really need to spend a couple of days with an expert learning this stuff to get up to speed.... This is one of three panels on an entry door.
Attachments
Door mid panel.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

That design looks beautiful, Chris! I’m so glad you were able to get that done and I’m looking forward to seeing your finished carve! Great work!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC