3d molding and HDPE plastic

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
tylerarclight
Model of CNC Machine: Arclight Dynamics

3d molding and HDPE plastic

Post by tylerarclight »

Hello All,

I just started using Vcarve and it is amazing! I have a customer that is looking to creating plastic molds for concrete walls that have a stone relief. If the mold was able to be scanned would Aspire be able to create that texture? Any help would be appreciated or any ideas how the mold would get scanned to create a 3D model. I have attached pictures of the mold and product.

Thanks,
Tyler
Attachments
application.jpg
mold.jpg

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: 3d molding and HDPE plastic

Post by adze_cnc »

You'll find that the HDPE will not remain flat once you compromise one face and all the internal tensions are released. I was asked to make a relief block printing plate out of HDPE and it got curvy even before it finished cutting.

Steven

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

To answer your question, if you have a high quality photo or scan then yes aspire can create a 2.5D model of the texture. If your customer isn't completely insistent on using that particular pattern you might look for a pattern that closely resembles it. Google seamless textures...
Steven is correct, HDPE may not be the best material as once it's surfaced unless it's being held down really well it's going to warp really bad.
John
Maker of Chips

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

IF it needs to be Exactly like that, then a professional laser scan would give you an Exact model you could use in VCP.
Highly recommend Brady Watson at http://www.ibild.com/
Maybe contact?

Used to help make canoe,kayak,cherrypicker buckets, and aftermarket accessories for Boston Whaler fiberglass molds.
EVERY single blemish repeated exactly from the molds, Time after Time is just plain embarrassing, AND expensive to fix every time!!

scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

tylerarclight
Model of CNC Machine: Arclight Dynamics

Post by tylerarclight »

Thank you!