Confused Adding 3D model

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
reynolpe
Model of CNC Machine: XCarve 1000mm

Confused Adding 3D model

Post by reynolpe »

I am attempting to create a sign for a friend that bought a lake house. I can't figure out how to get the fish in the middle without it being cut into the profiled out space. I want to have the fish flat on the lower profiled out plane. First picture is what I can get without the 3d model. The second one is what I get with the 3D model but the letters get messed up. Any help/guidance is very appreciated. If someone has a link to some place that can show/teach me how to do it that would be great. I have tried so many different ways so far with no luck.

Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 3.22.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 3.21.18 PM.png

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Confused Adding 3D model

Post by highpockets »

Do you have a boundary vector around the fish so that when pocketing the sign the fish area does not get cut and when cutting the fish with the Roughing/Finishing toolpath the boundary vector prevents the rest of the sign getting cut?
I'd strongly recommend watching the Vectric Tutorial videos, they will save you lots of headaches. https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... =1&order=1
John
Maker of Chips

reynolpe

Post by reynolpe »

I did try and put an oval around the fish and use it as a boundary but then the whole oval section was elevated and the fish would be cut down inside of it. Obviously I know I am doing something wrong. I will check the link you sent but last time I looked at them they only showed me how to do a 3d model inside an oval dome. I can get that done but not what I am wanting. But like I said I will look at them again. I appreciated the info, thanks.

UPDATE: Also when I used a vector boundary that is when I get those messed up letters.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Look at Create Vector Boundary for a Component. You also need to make sure you component isn't higher than your pocket.
Image 345.png
Image 344.png
John
Maker of Chips

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

HighPockers Fishing Lodge? High POCKERS?

Next thing yanno this will be "The Fockers Fishing Lodge"

Moving right along. . . .
Capture.JPG
Create a base. I did it by drawing a square and then giving it a height of about .375 using the create shape from vectors tool. Used the one that creates flat things.

Then I drew a simple frame. Did the same thing as above but set the thickness to .75. However, I set the combine mode to Merge. So it is .375 above the base.

Then I added the Shark. Since he is on the base, I left the combine to Add.

The letters are also done with the create shape from vectors tool. Since they are on top of the base, all I needed to do was set the height I wanted.

Hope this helps.

You can control where you cut by using the vectors you drew to create things. However, in the case of the shark, you have to use the "create boundary" tool to create a vector around the shark/fish. You can then speed up the cutting by using the pocketing tool to hog out the large flat area by selecting the boundary of the flat area, the letter vectors and the vector around the shark/fish. Controlling the cutting is a matter of technique.

Edit: I looked at your original pic again. I am thinking the problem you are having is that you need to create a component from the inside vector of the sign. Then set it to subtract from the material. This will drop that area down. Then when you place the letters and fish they will be on top of the sunken area. Or you can do it as I did above, build it from the bottom up instead of using a subtractive method.
Last edited by TReischl on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

[b]highpockets[/b] wrote: You also need to make sure you component isn't higher than your pocket.
I always wondered why you called yourself "Highpockets". . . .

Ohhh, the twists I could put on that quote. . . .but this is a nice forum.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

[quote="TReischl"]HighPockers Fishing Lodge? High POCKERS?[/quote

:oops: :oops: :oops: That's what happens when I type too fast and don't proof :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

TReischl wrote:
[b]highpockets[/b] wrote: You also need to make sure you component isn't higher than your pocket.
I always wondered why you called yourself "Highpockets". . . .

Ohhh, the twists I could put on that quote. . . .but this is a nice forum.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You're on a roll Ted....
John
Maker of Chips

reynolpe

Post by reynolpe »

highpockets wrote:Do you have a boundary vector around the fish so that when pocketing the sign the fish area does not get cut and when cutting the fish with the Roughing/Finishing toolpath the boundary vector prevents the rest of the sign getting cut?
I'd strongly recommend watching the Vectric Tutorial videos, they will save you lots of headaches. https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... =1&order=1
You hit the nail on the head that was the issue. I just kept overlooking the icon in the modeling tab. Thanks.

reynolpe

Post by reynolpe »

highpockets wrote:Look at Create Vector Boundary for a Component. You also need to make sure you component isn't higher than your pocket.
Image 345.png
Image 344.png
Thanks highpockets you have been so helpful.

reynolpe

Post by reynolpe »

TReischl wrote:HighPockers Fishing Lodge? High POCKERS?

Next thing yanno this will be "The Fockers Fishing Lodge"

Moving right along. . . .
Capture.JPG
Create a base. I did it by drawing a square and then giving it a height of about .375 using the create shape from vectors tool. Used the one that creates flat things.

Then I drew a simple frame. Did the same thing as above but set the thickness to .75. However, I set the combine mode to Merge. So it is .375 above the base.

Then I added the Shark. Since he is on the base, I left the combine to Add.

The letters are also done with the create shape from vectors tool. Since they are on top of the base, all I needed to do was set the height I wanted.

Hope this helps.

You can control where you cut by using the vectors you drew to create things. However, in the case of the shark, you have to use the "create boundary" tool to create a vector around the shark/fish. You can then speed up the cutting by using the pocketing tool to hog out the large flat area by selecting the boundary of the flat area, the letter vectors and the vector around the shark/fish. Controlling the cutting is a matter of technique.

Edit: I looked at your original pic again. I am thinking the problem you are having is that you need to create a component from the inside vector of the sign. Then set it to subtract from the material. This will drop that area down. Then when you place the letters and fish they will be on top of the sunken area. Or you can do it as I did above, build it from the bottom up instead of using a subtractive method.

Thanks for you help.