jpeg to vector double lines

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
dave gangster
Model of CNC Machine: Home made 3 axis 715mm x1mt

Re: jpeg to vector double lines

Post by dave gangster »

l
Last edited by dave gangster on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave gangster

Post by dave gangster »

Hi Martin thanks for your reply. The plans are very good quality but the problem is when i take a photo of them and bring it to aspire. I have now drawn it in aspire but still don't understand why the double lines from the photo. Thanks again for your help all the best Dave.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

dave gangster wrote:still don't understand why the double lines from the photo
Mike gave you the explanation:
FixitMike wrote:The trace tool draws a line wherever there is a change in color.
As your line has a width, there is a color change at each border so 2 vectors. Some software has a centerline option: they detect the line width and trace a central vector. But unfortunately Vectric products don't have this feature.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

dave gangster

Post by dave gangster »

Ok thanks Dave.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Dave, I was looking at the bitmap in your original post, if you look at it closely it is not a very good image at all, from that image I would not expect to get a very good trace at all :lol: :lol:
Taking a photo of any image you want to auto trace can be problomatic, lighting, camera flash, shadowing all play a part & what on paper are solid black lines become shades of grey to any bitmap trace program. If you aren't perfectly square to the image when you take a photo you will also get a degree of distortion so the plans may not be 100% accurate :lol: :lol:
You would be better scanning if that is an option, if not then when photographing do everything you can to eliminate any possible problems. Don't save the images as a jpeg file, use something like BMP or tiff as these will retain a lot more of the pictures colour imformation.

I don't know how much you have used inkscape but there is a centreline trace for inkscape, it doesn't install with the main program it is one of the add ons you have to download & install. I don't use the program myself but know people who do :lol: :lol:

dave gangster

Post by dave gangster »

Hi Martin thanks for the reply, The original pic is good quality but the photo let me down, have got inkscape will look for the add on thanks Dave.

fredfow3
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Swift 4x4, Shapeoko S3 XL

Post by fredfow3 »

For this particular image, trace it by hand.

unfortunately, Vectric's image tracing is pretty rudimentary.

The best solution for more complex images is to use a program like Vector Magic or Graphic Tracer to convert images to vectors. They are pretty sophisticated, and can save many, many hours of hand tracing. Not cheap, but then again, you get what you pay for.

My $0.02

dave gangster

Post by dave gangster »

Thank you will have a look at them Dave.