PDF Import Layer support

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
StefanV
Model of CNC Machine: Multicam 3000

PDF Import Layer support

Post by StefanV »

When importing a PDF file I'm happy with the preservation of nodes, but I loose my layers, it all becomes one "import layer". As you can see when opening the file attached in a PDF viewer, the layers are there. No longer so after import in Aspire. Once in aspire I apply a saved toolpath template that creates my CNC code. Quick and easy, only it doesn't work as I loose the layer info.

Long history struggling with DXF export. Using Corel to create CNC toolpaths, import them into Aspire, make code. Only solution I have found that works is DXFTools Pro. Great utility! It conserves the layers and gives me actual node-for-node DXFs. The native DXF export from Corel conserves the layers but adds me a few thousand nodes on the way,... Just tried a trial of Corel 2018, still the same. Also DXFTools Pro is no longer being upgraded and supports only up to Corel16. I'm afraid I'll run out of options as the programs go out of date and new operating systems come along.

Any ideas on how to get those layers out of PDF into Aspire? :idea: Optional feature for the next Aspire upgrade? :)

Thanks

Stefan
Attachments
Knife.pdf
(8.46 KiB) Downloaded 150 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: PDF Import Layer support

Post by Adrian »

Have you tried EPS format rather than PDF or DXF? PDF isn't really a format suitable for layer work.

Best long term solution is to create the vectors in Aspire itself rather than using other software that requires conversion steps.

garyb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by garyb »

Adrian,
I go thru this on a daily basis dealing with Architects, their electronic bid plans are all put out in pdf format. Afraid you don't have the option to go to eps or dxf
I open the plans in Acrobat and pull the pages I need but it is a lot of added work, maintaining layers for pdf is very much a needed feature.
Gary
Beckwith Decor Products
Custom CNC Tooling/Onsrud Distributor
http://www.beckwithdecor.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Fair enough but PDF seems an extremely odd format to use for architectural or engineering drawings to me. At the moment the PDF import creates different layers for each page. For the type of drawings I get from crafts people to convert losing that functionality in favour or embedded layers would be a real pain.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

FWIW, Gary is right, almost all the architectural drawings we get are in PDF format. Not sure they would bother to send them in EPS format even if they knew how. I do get engineering drawings in .dwf or .dxf format on occasion, but PDF is widely used over here.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

garyb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by garyb »

Adrian,
Even though the architectural companies use Autocad and the likes for in house drawings, when they put them out for bid or send to the plan room for open bid they are in pdf format.
A large amount of sub-contractors do not use cad/cam programs so cannot open dwg, dxf eps etc etc but everyone can open pdf.
You get a 30 sheet set of plans in pdf and they are a pain, not to mention time consuming without an easy way to maintain your layers
Gary
Beckwith Decor Products
Custom CNC Tooling/Onsrud Distributor
http://www.beckwithdecor.com

StefanV

Post by StefanV »

Anyone ever found a solution for this? Problem remains.... bad vector to dxf export in corel. Dxf tool only supported up to corel 16. Pdf layer support good option in corel, but layers are lost in Aspire.
Now, after 25 years of buying corel upgrades, corel 16 tells me I'm using an unregistered version and they will shut me down... upgrade doesn't work for me. Begging them to sell me an additional license of 16.
There has to be a better way . :cry:

Stefan

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Just do the original work in Aspire.
John
Maker of Chips

StefanV

Post by StefanV »

Doing the original work in aspire,.... Guess I'm too used to Corel since version 3 :) Do all parts layout for cabinet manufacturing, also use a few gadgets to create toolpaths while importing, not creating layers I don't need. Don't know if all of that works straight out of Aspire,... I create my workspace as huge allowing to put on all parts of all cabinets for a project scale 1/1 then selectively go to work doing my own nesting because of parts hold-down on the cnc, a combination between vacuum, onion skin, tabs and plain old screws. Then create code one sheet at a time. All seems a challenge to figure that out. Some how doing the design work in Corel and then selectively importing using gadgets seems to be the way to go for me for now. But I know eventually it will come down to that. Just don't see Aspire as the "cabinetry manufacturing program" but absolutely the best in making my cnc live up to its fullest potential.
Last edited by StefanV on Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StefanV

Post by StefanV »

Just found that if I export DXF from Corel-native and re-import it, the curves are respected! Yet if I import in Aspire, the curves are changed to lots of nodes,
Now if I export DXF from Corel-DXF pro export add-on, the curves are respected and Aspire imports the right curves and layers.

Tried all 10 DXF variation for the different versions of autocad from corel, all import into Aspire with nodes.
Only the DXF pro add-on does the right job.

Why is the DXF import in Aspire happen differently for 2 files that are supposingly the same format?

going to try and talk to the make of the DXF pro add-on next,...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The DXF pro export converts beziers into arcs and line segments as needed. A bit like using "Fit Curves" within Aspire after importing a DXF file with only short line segments.

The DXF file format doesn't support bezier curves so curves can only be created by mixing arcs and lines in that way. The fact that the pro product exists would seem to suggest that the standard DXF export from Corel doesn't use arcs at all.

Are the only two export options available PDF and DXF? From what I can see Corel exports in a lot more formats many of which work with Aspire and supports layers, colours etc.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

StefanV wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:22 pm
Why is the DXF import in Aspire happen differently for 2 files that are supposingly the same format?
They are the same "format" but created differently. The issue with too many nodes has been with Corel forever when it comes to DXF files. Gotta remember, the primary focus of Corel is illustration, not manufacturing.

I agree with you about Aspire not being a cabinet program. Nor is it marketed that way.

Cabinet programs are essentially parametric in nature. Input a handful of variables and the program generates all the required parts. Corel does not have that function either and is actually a poor choice. I know, we get started with what we have.

Maybe it is time to rethink your work flow and the tools you are using to accomplish what you need to do. The challenge is to find something that will interface with Aspire which you are essentially using to create tool paths.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

StefanV

Post by StefanV »

Thanks for all the answers, I know I'm just being difficult :) Let me explain :) :)

I do much more with Corel than just make cabinets. We have an ongoing production of wooden caskets. I use a Corel design on 36 defined layers on a half sheet of mdf like this:
12mm Casket toolpaths v14.5.jpg
In this case about 8 layers are actively being used and this is automatically associated to the right tool-paths by Aspire using a tool-path template to cut me this:
IMG-20180924-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20181206-WA0005.jpg

For "regular" cabinets I have Cabinet vision, no sweat, no need for Aspire. But as soon as cabinets get custom, it's easier for me to go back to Corel and program every cut and hole one at a time. This gives me a level of custom work nobody can get from the standard "cabinet programs". Somehow for me taking Corel through Aspire is as easy as walking up to a chop saw and faster :)

Anyway, just saying :)

but you gave me a great Idea with the "fit to curve" function. Just tried that and it does greatly reduce the nodes while sticking fairly well to the original path. Only thing is,... If I process a whole sheet in bulk, the result ends up on a single active layer, so I would have to do this per individual layer. Never satisfied :) But it's an option,....

Still hope for some magical solution :)

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

StefanV wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:10 am
Only thing is,... If I process a whole sheet in bulk, the result ends up on a single active layer, so I would have to do this per individual layer. Never satisfied :) But it's an option,....

Still hope for some magical solution :)
The thing is, any time the program makes new vectors, the vectors will always be put on the active layer. And, the tool that fits curves to vectors makes new vectors. I've been bitten by this myself more than once. No magical solution.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

StefanV

Post by StefanV »

Wait for it,... :) SVG seems to work! Never tried that one before. All the layers on the Aspire import have the correct name and the curves are true bezier with the original nodes respected 100%!

Going to to do some further testing. Just one issue left where 6 object don't make it across in their proper location but all get piled up in a corner.. I did get an error on SVG export for "some" items: "One or more IDs used in the file are either duplicates or contain invalid syntax." another thing to figure out. Help file has no comments on this error. Just emailed to ask Corel.. :)

If this works, I'll test an upgrade to Corel and see if it works all the way.

Wonder why Corel didn't point me in this direction. This might be the magic I was looking for.

Thanks for thinking this through with me!

Stefan