Set start depth above material surface

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
carbidetooth
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre Pro 408

Set start depth above material surface

Post by carbidetooth »

This seems like it would be obvious, but clearly I haven't figured it out, hence the post.

The scenario is V Carving, using the material surface a z-zero. I'd like to increase the visible flats on adjacent surfaces by not plunging as deeply into the carving. Not limiting plunge, but rather changing the starting point height, so to speak. Assumed I could set a negative value for "start depth" but it appears that's not an acceptable value, as it changed to positive number when calculating toolpath.

My kludge is to stick varying thicknesses of whatever's handy under touch off plate when setting z-zero. Usually between .015 and perhaps .050. Not very elegant but gets the job done.

How would I set this up in software?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Set start depth above material surface

Post by Adrian »

Only way to do it purely in VCarve/Aspire that I am aware of is to make the vectors smaller as that's essentially what you're doing by setting the zero above the surface with a v-carve toolpath.

Any other method is done via the z-zero setting on your control software. On mine I would set the z-zero to where it really is with the touch off plate, tell the Z to move up by the amount I want via a DRO entry and then zero the z there.

carbidetooth
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre Pro 408

Post by carbidetooth »

Thanks Adrian, the workaround you suggested in setting z-zero is easy enough.

I'm curious as to the reasoning that won't allow negative numbers, but perhaps that's a question for Vectric. I'm a relative newbie, so I'll not second guess.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I can’t think of a really good reason to allow a negative Start Depth, as long as the layout is designed correctly in the first place.

I/we are at somewhat of a disadvantage...Without seeing an example file of exactly what you are wanting to do, I’m not certain it’s necessary to have a negative Start Depth feature for what you described either.

You mentioned you didn’t want to change the “plunge limit Depth”...I’m wondering why not?

In any case, Adrian answered your question directly, so that’s good!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

If you zero from the bottom rather than the top you can achieve the same thing by setting the material thickness a little more than it really is.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

"IF" I visualize this correctly, I do not see how starting the cutter above the surface will help what you are trying to achieve. There are a couple of settings in Vectric to control that, but again, not actually "seeing" what you want leaves a bit of a mystery.

As Adrian pointed out the only real answer is to make the vector lines closer together.

To me, it sounds like you want a little more space between letters - which is called "kearning". There is a way to do that in Vectric.

Using different font can help.

Using a steeper angle cutter can also help

It would help to be able to see exactly what you want to do.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC