3D Finish toolpath stops

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
nkrech
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

3D Finish toolpath stops

Post by nkrech »

HI Everyone,

I've been getting better with aspire and have fixed alot of my common issues I've run into but I've found a new one. Yesterday I was using my Laguna IQ and was running a 3D finishing toolpath and it just stops. I'm not sure why but the rough pass was complete and the preview shows that everything should be fine but for some reason it doesn't finish the entire path but instead goes around 3/4 the way up and stops. I resized the vector that I had around my 3d image for the machine boundary and made it a bit smaller (but still well outside of the 3d image) and recalculated it and tried again and it stopped in the exact spot again the second time. Anyone have an idea what is causing my 3d finish pass to stop in its tracks?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: 3D Finish toolpath stops

Post by martin54 »

When you say it just stops is it at the end of the gcode or are there lines of code after the machine stops? Have you checked all power saving features are turned off on your control computer?
Have you made any changes to the computer recently, installed any new software or updated the operating system :lol: :lol:

nkrech

Post by nkrech »

martin54 wrote:When you say it just stops is it at the end of the gcode or are there lines of code after the machine stops? Have you checked all power saving features are turned off on your control computer?
Have you made any changes to the computer recently, installed any new software or updated the operating system :lol: :lol:
I have updated to aspire 9.5 but have recalculated since then.

The Laguna IQ uses an handheld reader so it doesn't have a nice computer screen to see what line it stops on (I like the machine but that handheld screen is definitely a negative). I've run plenty of other programs and never have had this issue. When I come out its still on it just stopped like that's all that there is.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Oh sorry, I thought even DSP controllers showed the lines of g-code, just a bit smaller & harder to read than on a computer monitor :lol: :lol: :lol:

nkrech

Post by nkrech »

They do but they're gone about as quick as they show up and then once it stops they go away so it isn't like I can see where it was. I can just see where the bit is stopping and it was in the same place, twice.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hello,
Did you check the size of your finishing code file and the capacity of your handheld?
A finishing file can be huge.
How do you transfer the file to the handheld?
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

nkrech

Post by nkrech »

LittleGreyMan wrote:Hello,
Did you check the size of your finishing code file and the capacity of your handheld?
A finishing file can be huge.
How do you transfer the file to the handheld?
I haven't checked the size and I don't know the limitation of the hand held. I have a call into Laguna to check into the limitations, if any, of the machine. I should hopefully hear back this am from them. I transfer everything over with a USB stick. I've done very similar projects before and have never had this issue so I'm a bit baffled.

BDM
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BDM »

Could have a corrupted USB stick or you removed the stick from the computer before the tool path had fully saved? Save the tool path to your computer and then compare to file on stick and see if they have the same number of lines. Or look at the end of the code on the stick and see if it is ending properly.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

I have an IQ and was running the files from the flash drive and had a machining issue (sorry can't remember what it was).

Laguna told me to load the files to the HHC and run them that way without the flash drive.

Problem went away.

The manual did not say load internally, at least 5 years ago it didn't.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Even thumbdrives have powersaving settings now.
Never a good idea to leave a thumbdrive inserted into a control computer on my set-up anyways...caused me problems until I learned.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.