rwebcon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Elite 4 X 4

Create component from tool path view

Post by rwebcon »

Create componet.crv3d
My file
(189 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
I’m using aspire to create some 3D printable models. I’m using the create component from tool path view to create a model to export as STL file. My material is 6.35mm thick and I cut all the way through. The problem when I look at the created model properties the only options are base height and its only half the thickness of my material. Why is shape height not available? Why is the base height only half my material? I want a model 6.35 thick and be able to export is in STL.
Help.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Create component from tool path view

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Your level setting is probably set to "add". Create a new level and move the toolpath component to the new level. Then turn off the view on the original level. There are other ways but that is the easiest.
Last edited by SteveNelson46 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

rwebcon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rwebcon »

Set new level to what??? I have tried all Combination types, nothing works...

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Turn off the view for all of the components except for the toolpath component. Unless, of course, I have misunderstood the problem.
Steve

rwebcon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rwebcon »

I do not understand. There are two views 2D and 3D. How do you turn off all views? What is the tool path component view? Sorry for my lack of knowledge here.

rwebcon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rwebcon »

Have you tried to get my model to full thickness?

rwebcon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rwebcon »

I just tried going to tool path screen and creating the component. Same results...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The thickness goes from negative to positive across the center plane. If you export as an STL with an inverted front then you get the full thickness.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

I opened your file and am struggling to understand what it is and how you made it. What I'm getting is a component with zero thickness and negative base height. If I set the base height to positive then I get a disk. I suppose if you insist on using this component, however you made it, then just type "6.35" into the Base Height box rather than using the slider and the top of the component will be 6.35mm above zero.

If a 6.35mm disk is what you're going for, then a more straightforward way of creating it would have been to select the circle, click on the "Create a shape from vector outlines" tool, click the "Flat Profile" option, set the base height to 6.35mm, and hit Apply. This will create a component with the right thickness. If you need it to go above and below the zero plane for some reason, then give it a negative base height in its Properties and it will split above and below zero.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

mwloyd
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: FLA-500

Post by mwloyd »

I am having similar problem with Component from toolpath preview. I am using the latest version. The thickness is .5 but the component created is .4125 with .0875 Gap below. If I change the model thickness to .5 the pockets become deeper. It doesn't add the gap distance back, but stretches the component to .5"...I guess. Why?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Is the material thickness 0.5" or do the actual toolpaths cut to that depth?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

mwloyd wrote:I am having similar problem with Component from toolpath preview. I am using the latest version. The thickness is .5 but the component created is .4125 with .0875 Gap below. If I change the model thickness to .5 the pockets become deeper. It doesn't add the gap distance back, but stretches the component to .5"...I guess. Why?
I would have to see your actual file, but I'm thinking a couple things might be going on...

1) Material setup has an unwanted "gap" set from your Z-Zero location (check your Model Position in Material setting)

2) Your pocket dimensions become deeper because you are changing the overall Z thickness (everything changes, including pocket depths)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I should say the pocket depths change when you change the z-thickness because you have made them raster carves (via create model from Toolpath preview). “Normal” 2D pockets wouldn’t.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

rwebcon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rwebcon »

Well I finally got the part out to a STL file. If you do not work with the 3d modeling you forget a LOT. Attached is the part I was trying to make. It hard to explain what your trying to do sometimes but a picture is worth a thousand words. You can use the toolpath view to create your model or go directly to the modeling tools. I found it depends on what your trying to do using one or the other method.

I Just started using the Dremel 3D45 print to make some parts for different projects. It gives you the ability to add some color to wood working projects. The Dremel is not an entry level machine but it has all the options you will eventually want to have. Heated glass bed, WIFI, camera to remote watch your work, auto leveling of bed, total enclosed for heat control etc. It’s simple to set up and it auto detects your filament type and adjust all temperature settings to give good print results. I very happy with it so far.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who responded, great people….