Virtual Zero Between Tool Paths

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
scovell
Model of CNC Machine: Shark CNC

Virtual Zero Between Tool Paths

Post by scovell »

When using different tool paths, how do you set the virtual zero when the depth of the wood changes depending on past cuts. My first tool path is a 3d roughing tool path which will remove up to .25" of material in some spots, mostly in the center of the work piece.When I change bits and run the 3d finishing tool path it asks to set virtual zero again. The touch plate will be at different heights as it runs the zeroing process.

I could skip the zeroing process, but then it is near impossible to get the next bit installed at the same height as the first bit.

Thanks.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Virtual Zero Between Tool Paths

Post by Adrian »

The virtual zero is a shark specific feature rather than a Vectric one. The usual process for other machines is to zero the bit on a piece of the material that isn't cut or to zero to the table surface rather than material surface.

scovell

Post by scovell »

Thanks Adrian that makes much more sense to me. I asked the question on the shark forum as well.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Applying the virtual zero again is a request to modify the the new toolpath file using the settings for the virtual zero that you previously determined. Just say yes. You still have to set the Z zero for the new tool.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

scovell

Post by scovell »

FixitMike wrote:Applying the virtual zero again is a request to modify the the new toolpath file using the settings for the virtual zero that you previously determined. Just say yes. You still have to set the Z zero for the new tool.
How will the system know the proper depth of the recently install bit, since it is changing from a .25 endmill to a ballnose?

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

scovell wrote:
FixitMike wrote:Applying the virtual zero again is a request to modify the the new toolpath file using the settings for the virtual zero that you previously determined. Just say yes. You still have to set the Z zero for the new tool.
How will the system know the proper depth of the recently install bit, since it is changing from a .25 endmill to a ballnose?
The system assumes that you have set the Z0 for the new tool the same as for the original tool, just like you are supposed to do. This does not change the virtual zero settings.

Note that Next Wave Automation has a site with instructions. The manual you need is "CNC Shark 2.0 Control Program Manual".
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

scovell

Post by scovell »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction FixitMike, your help and knowledge are appreciated.