2D File Mis-Read

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
DRD
Model of CNC Machine: Shop Sabre

2D File Mis-Read

Post by DRD »

I pulled up some old free Vectric 2012 holiday 2D files with Aspire 9.507, specificity file "09-Holly_Corner" and when viewing the tool paths there is a 1.5" diameter circle tool path that appears in the lower right corner with no vector line drawn there. I opened the same file with Aspire 8.0 and the circle tool path is not present at the preview. I saved the file with a v-carve/engraving tool path and the file type changed from Vectric CRV file to Vectric CRV3D File. When I opened the new Vectric CRV3D file with Aspire 9.507 the circle tool path with no supporting vector drawing line is no longer there. There are a few more of the 2012 holiday files that show the circle tool path with no vector line drawn when I preview them. Most of the files do not have this problem. Can anyone explain what is going on?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: 2D File Mis-Read

Post by Adrian »

I have files from the same period and they don't have toolpaths in them. Did you create the toolpaths yourself?

There are intersections and crossovers with some of the vectors that can confuse a V-carve type toolpath. How that is treated will vary from version to version as the software is updated to handle more scenarios. If you use the Vector Validator you can find those problem spots.

Hard to say what the issue is without being able to see the actual file. If you save a CRV file from Aspire it will be saved as a CRV3D file as that's the default file type for Aspire. You have to select VCarve in the Save As dialog if you want to keep it as a CRV file.

DRD
Model of CNC Machine: Shop Sabre

Re: 2D File Mis-Read

Post by DRD »

Adrian,
Thank you for the feedback. I created and saved a v-carve/engraving tool path using Aspire 8.0. The additional circle does no show before or after saving the tool path with version 8.0. When I open the file with the tool path from version 8.0 with Aspire 9.507 the problem with the extra circle being carved is corrected. I can use that solution with the other 2012 2D files, but I was just trying to understand what was causing this.