Help with Moulding Arches

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Steve Sawtelle
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster stinger

Help with Moulding Arches

Post by Steve Sawtelle »

Sorry, Newbie here: I am trying to mold arches. It would look like something you might see in a church window. It would be a series of offset stacked arches with a profile of 3/4w x 3/4 high with 1/4round scallops in the top edges. (the pic shows sharp pointed tops) I think I have to plan the centerline vectors and then select them in the proper order and then select the profile under the molding toolpath am in the ball park? I get some that tool to the left and some that tool to the right. I think I have to start with a half profile (left side) then a Half profile right side to get this to come out correctly.
Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
Arches
Arches

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Help with Moulding Arches

Post by Rcnewcomb »

AN offset of half the bit diameter should help.

You may be interested in reading this journal entry by James Booth: Arched doorway, fountains abbey, moulding, light covers, an old bowl etc.

- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Steve Sawtelle

Post by Steve Sawtelle »

I think I will abandon the moulding toolpath attempt and try the simple geometry with pocket toolpaths which I believe will be a bit easier. This way I think I can draw up the entire design and have it cut on the lines then finish with a profile toolpath to complete the cut out parts. (maybe)

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Steve,

The gothic quatrefoil tutorial may be useful:
https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... _DRAW.html
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Steve Sawtelle

Post by Steve Sawtelle »

Great tip. I’ve watched it a couple of times but I am still hung up with some open vectors. I have cut and trimmed all tips and stray things that I can see, but I still have pesky vectors that I cannot join. Back to the drawing board. It’s a simple repeating pattern so it’s rather frustrating. Never give up.