Direction change lines issue milling hardwood

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
marbles
Model of CNC Machine: homemade

Re: Direction change lines issue milling hardwood

Post by marbles »

Adrian wrote:
marbles wrote: Stepover = time = money :)
Which is why I gave up the idea of doing anything that requires a 3D toolpath commercially a long time ago. In the time it takes to produce a single 3D object I can make enough 2D objects that would make the price of the 3D object astronomical. All the time I have enough 2D work to occupy the machines 3D will have to wait until I retire (again)!
Indeed! I agree entirely however my background is in 3D and folk expect it of me. If I can bring the process in under and hour and do batches sell to a niche market then its economic. Just wait till I get the 4th axis going thats when it'll start to get really economically impractical :wink:

marbles
Model of CNC Machine: homemade

Post by marbles »

scottp55 wrote: Perhaps the comparison will give you a better starting point, and then gradually bump up feeds/speeds/pass depth/stepover until YOUR best finish is found.
Very good info, great to see comparison between the two.
I THINK the cut times were about 25 minutes for the faster one..I'll check and post if much different.
Looks like your a bit faster. My 120x120x25 carving on a 6% stepover took about 2 hours but that includes stocking levelling, roughing and finishing pass and perimeter profiling toolpaths. i'm pretty sure I can half this. Z travel is always the issue.

I'll add Salt Lakes Flat and Lake Eyre to the list of terrain I can do. That should speed things up :D :wink:

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

IF your bit has enough cutting edge for the whole model/ Model allows continuous cutting of ONLY the stepover/AND you either start slightly off the workpiece, OR cheat your Z up..and then run a couple lines, and lower Z and run a couple lines in reasonable increments to Original Z....Then quite often a Roughing pass can be skipped altogether. CHECK the preview carefully to make SURE the toolpath doesn't jump around! Check toolpath in 2D to make SURE you only have one descent, and one lift at the end!
My roughing often takes as long as the Finish.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I'll add Salt Lakes Flat and Lake Eyre to the list of terrain I can do. That should speed things up

If your looking to build your portfolio then this should help as well :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/mysterious-places-part-5