Post Processor for Command CNC

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
jarm2
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: C&CNC electronics 4x4 ext aluminum table

Post Processor for Command CNC

Post by jarm2 »

My motor drive electronics failed recently and was non repairable. I had been using Mach 3 for CAM for several years.

I have ordered a new setup for driving my servos and will be using a Linux based CAM software called Command CNC from C&CNC, Four Hills Design. Their electronics are very good and I have been wanting to migrate away from Mach 3 for a while.

I wondered if anyone on the forum could offer advice for a Post Processor from Aspire 9+ that would work with Command CNC. I have asked Vectric support and they weren't aware of any except the LinuxCNC Post. Folks that have tried that with Command CNC on the C&CNC forum said the LinuxCNC Post doesn't work correctly. I will try that one when I get my new system set up, but was looking for other ideas. I am also working with C&CNC to get their suggestions for a working Post Processor.
Thanks,
Aspire 11 ViaCAD Pro 12 Corel 2019 W 10, 2.2 kw spindle wireless pendant

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Post Processor for Command CNC

Post by IslaWW »

Usually the person building the system will have developed a post processor that is compatible
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

jarm2
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jarm2 »

Thanks for the reply.
They have one for other software which is used mainly for plasma cutting, but seem to have trouble finding one that will work with Aspire. I will just have to try what is available and maybe learn some G code to modify one to work for me. The other software router post writes a .txt code file, so maybe it would work for Aspire. Should be an interesting challenge.

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

The CNC plasma world tend to use more specialized Plasma CAM programs.

They would not see Aspire as a suitable CAM program for CNC plasma.

However in my experience Aspire is quite capable for plasma. You will need to write your own PP.

That is not as difficult as you may think.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

I actually use a Flashcut plasma controller on my setup. It works quite well with Aspire and if I ever wanted to hitch up my plasma head I would have no issues. There is a post in Aspire for Flashcut but not sure if this would help you much.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

jarm2
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jarm2 »

Thanks for all the replies. I will try all of these as well as some from the forum for the vendor. Some that were suggested LinusCNC_64_Arcs_inch, Winncnc(inch), EMC_arcs_inch. I also have the manual that Vectric included for writing post processors if worst comes to worst. The CommandCNC software is set up to work with another CAM program for both plasma and router so I may be able to do the design and toolpaths in Aspire and somehow export them to the other CAM program to its post. Lots of challenges ahead.

Greolt
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greolt »

You will be exporting drawings to the other CAM but not toolpaths.

The CAM provided is very popular in the CNC plasma world and you will find lots of help for it. And a PP already written for Command CNC. (trying not to name the other software as this is a Vectric forum)

The Post Processors you mention above are not plasma PPs. and won't do what is needed for plasma cutting.

If you decide to use Aspire for toolpaths you will need to write a PP for it. (although I suspect you won't once you have the other CAM)

In a nutshell this involves removing all reference to Z axis positions and utilising the "Plunge and Retract" commands.

Have a look at the examples in the Post_Processor_Guide.pdf

One small thing you will encounter which may not bother you, but would annoy me greatly, is that Command CNC is Linux based and Aspire is Windows based. (I believe the provided CAM has a Linux version)

Greolt
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greolt »

Sorry, I need to edit my previous post.

I was confusing the OP question with another thread running about Aspire and plasma.

You are not the one being supplied with another CAM program. That was in the other thread. Disregard the bit about that.

The rest of what I said above still applies. :)

jarm2
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jarm2 »

Just to clarify what I am looking for. I plan to use my table mostly for carving in 2.5 and 3 D and sign making with a mounted router. I also at times, plan to install my plasma and cut metal signs. I have done both in the past using Mach 3 and Aspire for the carving and other software for plasma. I have no intentions of using Aspire for the plasma work, although that could change.

My main concern at this time is finding a post processor that will take my toolpaths generated in Aspire and send them to Command CNC for control of the carving. I have several post processors to try at this time, thanks to folks from this forum and from the forum for the vendors of my new control system. The vendor is also confirming the best post processor to use for my system. Thanks again to everyone who answered my call for help and I will update once I get my system up and carving again. I have several people waiting for signs to be finished, so I need to keep moving forward.