Arcs change to short line segments

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: ARCS change to short line segments

Post by ger21 »

That's why they have both "Draw Arc" and "Draw Curve" commands.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Renaissance
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ6012

Post by Renaissance »

I appreciate all of your thoughts on this.
All of the arcs created in this project were created from a straight line segment, then when in node editing mode, the line segments were changed to arcs. The arcs radii were then adjusted dynamically with the node on the arc radius.

ger21
Vectric Wizard

Post by ger21 »

Then they are not arcs. Node editing results in Bezier curves, not arcs. Bezier curves always translate to straight G1 moves, unless you fit arcs the the curves.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Renaissance wrote:All of the arcs created in this project were created from a straight line segment, then when in node editing mode, the line segments were changed to arcs. The arcs radii were then adjusted dynamically with the node on the arc radius.
Do you have a particular reason to follow this process?

You cant convert a bunch of segments to arcs in a single command with the "fit curves to selected vectors" feature.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Good point Gerry, once you edit the nodes the curves are converted. This explains the phenomenon, but I'm still curious of the process.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

ger21 wrote:Then they are not arcs. Node editing results in Bezier curves, not arcs. Bezier curves always translate to straight G1 moves, unless you fit arcs the the curves.
Node editing will not change arc segments to beziers, not when you only manipulate nodes. It will only happen if you make nodes smooth or explicitly convert segment to a bezier.

Greg K

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Interesting

I created a circle again - same as before.

This time I changed the spans to bezier which changed the nodes into smooth nodes.

The g-code is now all G1 line segments.

There is always more to learn
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

The secret lies in knowing what a bezier curve actually is. As someone mentioned earlier, it is similar to a spline, but it is not a spline.

Bezier curves are extremely useful for artistic work, splines not as much.

Internally a bezier curve is NOT a series of small line segments. It is nodes and control handles(points). The software that implements the bezier curve creates the number of small segments as output. In other words, the software "plots" the curve defined by the nodes and controls and outputs points along that curve.

Normally lots of small segments are not a problem on a cnc machine, unless you are running a really fast machine. If the control cycle loop time is longer than the time it takes to execute the commands the machine will start to stutter. I have run industrial laser cutters at high speed, think in excess of 800 IPM, and had them empty the look ahead buffer and begin stuttering because of very small short segments. The only solution is to convert those small segments into true arcs.

Most of us will never see that on our machines, so it is not a worry. I run my router at 250-300 IPM most of the time and have never had a problem.

Here is a link that explains it pretty well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9zier_curve
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

I gave it some more thought. If all the arc were changed, I think it is likely that following happened. The distort vector tool was used. When distorting arcs, they will change to beziers.
Afterwards, many operations (e.g. offsetting) will turn beziers into series of straight lines.

Have you used distort vector tool Renaissance?

Greg K

Renaissance

Re: Arcs change to short line segments

Post by Renaissance »

Hi Greg
Didn't use distort vector tool, just checked what that is.

ger21
Vectric Wizard

Post by ger21 »

What process or tools did you use to add the arcs?

Renaissance

Post by Renaissance »

All of the arcs created in this project were created from a straight line segment, then when in node editing mode, the line segments were changed to arcs. The arcs radii were then adjusted dynamically with the node on the arc radius.

ger21
Vectric Wizard

Post by ger21 »

then when in node editing mode, the line segments were changed to arcs.
How are you changing them to arcs?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Only way I've been able to replicate something similar that could catch someone maybe unaware is to create a drawing with arcs (I used the A shortcut in node edit to convert spans to arcs), resize in one direction (easy to do by accident with a drag handle), obviously arcs can't then be maintained so they are converted to beziers which look very similar. At that point an offset operation or some other operation would cause the beziers to be replaced by lots of short spans.

Similar to what Greg suggested with the distort tool but it's something that could happen with the user being unaware.