Rotary Job Components "Invert"

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
mike.davison
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II with rotary

Rotary Job Components "Invert"

Post by mike.davison »

Not sure how to explain what I'm seeing since it's so crazy. Using the latest Aspire 9.5, doing a rotary job. The 3D view looks good then, if I open the "material setup" under tool paths or the "job size and position" under "edit" the model will "invert" even if all I do is open the "job size and position" form and click "cancel." Takes nothing more than opening the job size form and clicking cancel to make the 3D model insert/reverse. I've fiddled for quite a while and have not found a way around this. Any idea how to address this?

Before and after screen shot and the Aspire file are attached.

The before view:
Before
Before
The after view:
After
After
Attachments
Legs.crv3d
(417 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Rotary Job Components "Invert"

Post by Rcnewcomb »

The preview is doing its best to try and force the model to fit into the job size.

There are several problems with the model.

There is no Zero plane and the model doesn't cover the entire material area. Adding a zero plane will help with the rest of the modeling.

The component Weird Fix is causing problems because it is 1.6597" tall, but your material size only allows a component up to 1.5" tall (3" diameter).

The vector for the two rail sweep on Turned Section is backwards. Use the RIGHT profile, not the left profile.

The Shoulder (square section) is set to subtract. Set it to Add or Merge, depending on what you want to do.

Suggestion: Select View/Draw Material block so you can see where things are in your workspace. Also, switch back and forth between rotary and flat view.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

mike.davison
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II with rotary

Post by mike.davison »

Thanks so much!

Zero planes.... I've never quite grasped these so will go review them. When I started having trouble I reviewed the 'Rotary Modeling a Spindle' tutorial and the zero plane is deleted in that tutorial without any explanation so I did the same. Bad assumption on my part. Again, I'll go review zero planes.

Right vs left profile for the 2 rail sweep. Ah... I had forgotten that. Odd that the incorrect profile sort of worked. Perhaps it 'worked' in an inverted sense. The insanity was clearer in the flat view rather than the wrapped view so thanks for that reminder too.

I was seeing an oddball merging the shoulder and turned section components (the reason for the 'Weird Fix'), which told me something was going astray, but I was unable to sort out what. The 2-rail sweep error and perhaps the zero plane omission must have been where I was going astray.

In any case.... modeling this table leg with 2 components, both with a 'low' combine mode, resulted in a sane, usable model. Again, thank you!

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Thanks for the response Mike. We look forward to hearing about your progress and seeing photos of the completed parts.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop