Text Spacing

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
joswoodgallery
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS96 - ShopSabre Pro

Text Spacing

Post by joswoodgallery »

Since the 9.5 update I've been a little frustrated with the new text feature where it will keep your spacing/size changes. As an example a easy way to see what I'm talking about is type out any word. Then stretch the word larger in the X direction (greatly exaggerated). Then edit the word to another word and you'll see it is still taking on the same stretch. Now that's good sometimes, however there are times you want to go back to the native size. So, besides starting over has anyone found a way to go back. I know the undo would work if you did this all at the same time however I have lots of templates that I use over and over. I am more talking about files that have been open/closed many times.

Thanks, Charlie
http://www.joswoodgallery.com
Charlie
Jo's Wood Gallery
www.joswoodgallery.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Text Spacing

Post by Adrian »

In your template put the original, unstretched text on one layer and the stretched text on another. That way you have the best of both worlds as you can toggle layers on/off to get whichever suits for the new word.

In all my templates I always have them setup like that with the vectors on locked layers and text on original/modified layers.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I have used a few different Vector based programs over the years & that is how they have all worked. As Adrian has suggested copy your original text before you make any changes then it is there if needed, you can always lock the layer & turn visibility off so its not in the way at all.

I do the same sort of thing with my signmaking software, any text that may need changed is copied to a separate layer for 2 reasons, one is so that if I need the original text it is still there & the other is for future use. Once text has been converted to curves you have no idea what font you originally used if you have a bad memory like me :lol: :lol:
The other thing is that I tend to not stretch text but that is probably more of a pet hate than anything else, seen far to much text that has been stretched to the point it just looks bad :lol: :lol:
I tend to use a lot of commercial font families so there are normally lots of different options for each font without having to stretch them :lol: :lol:

joswoodgallery
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS96 - ShopSabre Pro

Post by joswoodgallery »

Thanks for the reply's. I hear you on not stretching text and we try to keep as native as possible however there are occasions when you need to...

I like the layer idea however the original text is also the text that has tool paths assigned to them. So if you just want to do a simple "recalculate all tool paths" you now have to go individually to each tool and select the text again. It would be nice to just have a button on the "Draw/Create Text" menu that clears the memory of the spacing/kerning and stretch. Just a thought...
Charlie
Jo's Wood Gallery
www.joswoodgallery.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

joswoodgallery wrote:I like the layer idea however the original text is also the text that has tool paths assigned to them. So if you just want to do a simple "recalculate all tool paths" you now have to go individually to each tool and select the text again. It would be nice to just have a button on the "Draw/Create Text" menu that clears the memory of the spacing/kerning and stretch. Just a thought...
You can have two layers associated with the same toolpath and only the one that is visible will be calculated when you recalculate all. All my templates use automatic toolpaths like that.