"Feature" lost in 9.5

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

"Feature" lost in 9.5

Post by 4DThinker »

I'm not exactly sure when this "feature" disappeared, but I sure do miss it.

In 9 and earlier versions I can drag a shape by a node point and snap it to the intersection of another line and the shadow of itself. In the latest 9.5 I noticed I can no longer snap to the shadow outline of the shape I'm dragging. I can also no longer snap a CTRL copy of a shape to anywhere the original intersects another line.

I use this "feature" often, typically making optimized dogbone fillets on non-square shapes. I drag a circle by its center point, to where its circumference intersects a diagonal line.

Please bring this "feature" back!
4D

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: "Feature" lost in 9.5

Post by Adrian »

Yep, see what you mean. It's not a feature I've needed myself but I can see how it could be useful.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

email support if you have noticed a change, its not like vectric to remove features so this behaviour is probably something that has changed when they have done something else & no one has noticed yet :lol: :lol:
They do monitor the forum but always best to ask this sort of thing directly :lol: :lol:

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

I'm not sure what you mean. Testing with 9.507 trial, it seems it works.

Could you detail your dogbone method?
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Draw two overlapping rectangles. Move one over the other to a point where the original rectangle and the other rectangle intersect. In 9 it snaps, in 9.5 it doesn't.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

In the 9.510 example provided below, I've drawn two six-sided polygons. On the left one I used the dogbone fillet. Excessive bulge at each corner IMO. On the right one I snapped a 1/8" circle to each corner, drew diagonal lines, then (used to be able to) drag the circle centers down to it their own intersection with the respective diagonal line. Scissor trim to leave an optimized dogbone at each corner.

In earlier versions I could easily drag/snap the circle to the intersection of the circle's ghost and the diagonal line. In this version it will not snap to that intersection.

4D
Dogbones Optimized on Hex.crv3d
(110 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Adrian wrote:Draw two overlapping rectangles. Move one over the other to a point where the original rectangle and the other rectangle intersect. In 9 it snaps, in 9.5 it doesn't.
In the trial version I mentioned above it does, so mention it in the bug report.
If I drag one of the shapes grabbing it by any point, this point snaps at every control point of the "ghost" or "shadow" of the original shape and in addition to intersections of the ghost with another shape.

Still interested in the dogbone trick :)
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

I can get it to snap around the ghost image, just not specifically to the intersection of where the ghost meets the diagonal line.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

4DThinker wrote:I can get it to snap around the ghost image, just not specifically to the intersection of where the ghost meets the diagonal line.
Works too here with the trial
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I'd say its the changes for 9.510 that have caused it rather than 9.5 in general.

My VCarve version was 9.508 and it worked fine there, when I updated it to 9.510 it wouldn't snap to that intersection with the same job and settings. The release notes for 9.510 mention changes in areas that could affect that.

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

This "feature" was removed unintentionally as it was actually incorrect behaviour in the code. Someone's bug is another person's feature :)

We'll aim to reinstate the old behaviour in the next patch. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Mohamed
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Thanks Mohamed. I've already had to use 9.0 a few times since I updated to 9.510 as I rely on that drafting feature so much. It'll be nice to get that feature back.

4D

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

mohamed wrote:This "feature" was removed unintentionally as it was actually incorrect behaviour in the code. Someone's bug is another person's feature :)

We'll aim to reinstate the old behaviour in the next patch. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Mohamed
So if I read Mohaneds comment correctly you are asking him to put a Bug IN the software :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

martin54 wrote:So if I read Mohaneds comment correctly you are asking him to put a Bug IN the software :lol:
Nope. I'm asking him to put back a feature that has been in the software since 4.5 or earlier. If it was a bug, then the current version still has a bug as it will snap to the perimeter of the ghost left behind when dragging a shape. ;)

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

4D, some explanations of your optimised dogbone method please?

TIA
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517