"Feature" lost in 9.5

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: "Feature" lost in 9.5

Post by Adrian »

File with the dogbones was posted a bit further up in the thread.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

LittleGreyMan wrote:4D, some explanations of your optimised dogbone method please?

TIA
In shapes with corner angles greater than 90 degrees, such as a 6-sided pocket for hex nuts, I start with drawing diagonal lines from corner to opposite corner.
I use the circle tool to place a circle the size of the dogbone I want, centered on each corner node.
Then I drag those circles by their center point and (previously) could snap them where the ghost perimeter intersects their associated diagonal line.
Scissor trim most of it away to leave just a minimal dogbone at each corner so the hex nut will fit in and still touch wood at each corner.

Example shown in the file I posted above.

4D

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Thanks for the comment. That's what I thought, you draw the bisectrix of an angle larger than 90°. Using the ghost and snapping features for that is a pretty smart trick. Requires a little more job, but much better than the standard dogbone.

BTW guys, could you please stop mocking the guy who didn't even noticed a file was posted to answer his question… :D
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

4DThinker wrote:Then I drag those circles by their center point and (previously) could snap them where the ghost perimeter intersects their associated diagonal line.
I seem to have no problems with this in 9.510. Well, it's a bit klunky trying to hit the intersection between the line and the "ghost" but that could just be the snap tolerance is really tight. And it seemed a lot easier sliding along the line and waiting for the snap on the circle to match the hexagon's vertex (former centre point of circle).

Steven

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

What happens now 9.510, is that (zoomed in) you can see the cursor jump between following the diagonal OR the ghost of the shape you are dragging. It practically resists snapping to the true intersection as if it can't decide which crossing vector it wants to snap to there. Previously it would snap to the exact intersection easily.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

I'll add that this feature only disappeared in the latest 9.510 update. I've got 9.509 on another machine and that feature does work.

4D