Unable to tilt or fade model

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
DHDeitrick
Model of CNC Machine: Maverick 3 x 5

Unable to tilt or fade model

Post by DHDeitrick »

trying to make an assembly with several Design & Make models. Would like to fade one model from top to bottom, but if I select the model, click on the properties wrench, click on Fade, then Set, I can change the percentage, but do not get the Anchors to tell the software the fixed & movable portion of the model. As a result, nothing happens as I change the slider. Am trying to tilt a background model behind the front model.

Suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Unable to tilt or fade model

Post by Adrian »

After you've done the Set moving the mouse over the model should have the mouse icon change to a ruler. You then click and drag to indicate the tile/fade direction. Is that happening for you?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

After clicking Set, the first mouse click establishes the anchor point you want unchanged.

Then move the mouse cursor to the desired end location where you want the Fade or Tilt to terminate and click the mouse again (you don’t click and drag...click once at the anchor point, then click again at termination point).

After that, you can change the percentage of the Fade (default is 50%) and/or change the Tilt angle (default is 0 for some reason)

It may be obvious, but I’ll mention anyway...the setting of Fade and Tilt are two separate operations. In other words, if you set an anchor point and termination point for a Fade, the Tilt is unaware of those points. You must set points separately for each function.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Click and drag works as well. That's how I've always done it. Both ways needs a click at the end.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Adrian wrote:Click and drag works as well. That's how I've always done it. Both ways needs a click at the end.
Yes Adrian, this is true. But, the two-clicks are safest. Just trying to "protect" the user, I guess. :D (Easy to "screw up" if doing it in the 3D View)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

DHDeitrick

Post by DHDeitrick »

Thanks to both. Went back and re-tried using your suggestions:

1. Click on set, move mouse over model. Mouse icon stays as an arrow
2. Click on Fade then Set then click at top of model then bottom of model, then change percent - Percent changes, but not the model
3. Click on Tilt then set then top & bottom of model. Unable to change percent.
4. Closed Aspire, Re-started Windows, re-opened a single file in Aspire. Same Results.
5. Aspire Version 9.5.09
6. Windows 10

Any other ideas?
Do I need to contact Vectric directly?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Not sure what's going on there. 1 definitely won't work as you didn't select Tilt or Fade but 2 and 3 should definitely work. I've attached a screen recording of what it looks like when I do it.
Attachments
tilt-fade.gif

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Are you in the 2d or 3d window when you're doing this? Setting the points for the fade only works in the 2d window.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

dealguy11 wrote:Are you in the 2d or 3d window when you're doing this? Setting the points for the fade only works in the 2d window.

Fade works just fine in both 2D and 3D windows. (So does Tilt)

(I'm using version 9.508)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

DH,

If you are in the 2D window when setting Fade and Tilt, do both the start and end points in the 2D window (do not attempt to go back and forth between the 2D and 3D Windows).

If you want to set Fade and Tilt in the 3D window, same thing - set start and end points in the 3D window only.

To access the Fade and Tilt while in the 3D window, you must select the model in that window then click on it again to display the “handles” around the model and most notably, the blue square located at the bottom/middle of the model. THIS blue square is the one to click to open a model properties window in the 3D view. Select Fade or Tilt and click a start and end, then change percent or angle as you wish. (The screenshot shows the blue square you have to click to open the properties window while working in the 3D view)
Attachments
3D-Window_Fade-Tilt_access.png
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

By the way, I tried to make a short tutorial video for you twice today.

For some reason, during video processing, my computer completely locked up and had to turn off the power then back on to restart the computer. Couldn’t even do a Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot - total lockup.

The first time it locked up, I thought it was a fluke. The second time it locked up, I realized something is very wrong. The product (Techsmith Snagit) is the same one I have always used in the past, but both my video card drivers as well as a Snagit update have occurred since the last time I recorded a video tut. So...dang!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

DHDeitrick

Post by DHDeitrick »

Thanks to all of you, I have figured out how to get things to fade & tilt, now to make the models do what I want by working with them.

redwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Post by redwood »

I have never been able to set the anchors for tilt or fade in the 3D view. I can do it in the 2D view. I've never seen the anchor that I've seen in the video's when in the 3D window. I'm using Aspire 10.xx
Mark
Pioneer, CA

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

redwood wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:19 am
I have never been able to set the anchors for tilt or fade in the 3D view. I can do it in the 2D view. I've never seen the anchor that I've seen in the video's when in the 3D window. I'm using Aspire 10.xx
Hi Mark,

You must click the model in the 3D View TWICE to get the handles and the Blue Square to show up. Then click the Blue Square ONCE to get the Fade, Tilt, etc. menu to show. (see the screenshot photo I posted earlier in this very thread for clarity)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

redwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Post by redwood »

Thanks, it has taken me over 4 years for me to find that anchor in the 3D view. I'm wondering why that doesn't work from the Edit properties menu. I never used the floating properties window box because it always get's in the way of the part of the model I'm working on. Yes, I know I can move the window, but that is a extra step.
Mark
Pioneer, CA