Complete Beginner - Question about Tools Database

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Wizaerd
Model of CNC Machine: Carvey

Complete Beginner - Question about Tools Database

Post by Wizaerd »

I'm brand new to doing anything related to CNC or wood work. I purchased a Carvey from Inventibles (actually MatterHackers), and have been learning it little by little, but discovered quickly I didn't much care for Easel, their software. So I picked up a copy of Aspire 9.5, and really like using it. However, because I am a complete beginner, I barely know which bit to use much less the specifics of it, such as shown in the tools database. I was really hoping there might be someone here who also has a Carvey (using the Easel post processor) that could help me out with some of these tool settings. Am I better off just leaving them at their default initially? I imagine as I learn and do more, I may find a need to tweak the settings, but since I know nothing, should I just leave them at their defaults? Are there consequences of leaving them as is?

Pete Cyr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II

Re: Complete Beginner - Question about Tools Database

Post by Pete Cyr »

The default values in the tool database may or may not be suitable for your machine.
You will have to experiment a bit - the file I attached represent the setting I use. The values for spindle speed, plunge rate and feed rate are probably not suitable for your system. The other values in my attachment are dependent on the bit profile and bit type and are applicable to any system.

You can of course use and values that suits you and your goal of how the finish piece looks. With the exception of the spindle speed, plunge rate and feed rate the other values are a good starting place for you to begin with.
Attachments
feed@speed.pdf
(18.8 KiB) Downloaded 115 times

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Re: Complete Beginner - Question about Tools Database

Post by dwilli9013 »

Welcome to the CNC arena.
Probably the best advice I could give right now would be to start watching and interacting with the tutorials contained within Aspire as well as the manual.
With the price of tooling, materials and the software itself you have made a significant investment. If you set up two monitors go over the tutorials and follow along the time spent will pay huge dividends when just starting out.
The fine folks within this forum will be more than happy to share information and tips with you and help you along in your journey you just have to follow their advice.
Most of all enjoy yourself and be amazed at what this hobby can provide to you. Have fun and remember to post pictures which can only be 2 meg and smaller to post to the forum.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli