Chair Back

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
sheiney

Chair Back

Post by sheiney »

I'm trying to carve letters on a curved wooden chair back the length of the back is 10.5 inches the height is 2.0 inches and the depth of the curve is 0.5 inch. I tried to make a dish with aspire but the curve came out on the width instead of the length. Anyone have some ideas?
Thanks

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

Re: Chair Back

Post by spinningwood »

Draw a vector showing half of the curve you want (include a vertical on the outside that is the height of the curve) for the back. Use the turn and spin tool to create a dish. Draw a box around the area you want to carve and clear the model outside that box. Project your carving onto the model. If the curve you drew in the first step matches your material you are good to go, if it doesn't then probably not so good to go.

Ed

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Something like this?
Image 237.png
You might also take a look at G-Code Ripper http://www.scorchworks.com/Gcoderipper/gcoderipper.html
John
Maker of Chips

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

Post by spinningwood »

By the way, the process I summarized above will give you a slight curve on the short dimension. If that's a problem for you, then you can use a two rail sweep instead to avoid the curve in the short dimension.

Ed

sheiney

Post by sheiney »

Highpockets
That's what I was thinking of regarding the look. I'm not sure how you did that would you explain in more detail please?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I used the two rail sweep modeling tool to create the curve.
Image 240.png
I created a box 10.5x2 to cutout the chair back (I don't think this applies to your need)

Using V-Carve and checked Project toolpath onto 3D Model
John
Maker of Chips

sheiney

Post by sheiney »

Thanks a lot highpockets
I was able to get the look and tool pathing set the way I wanted now to do a test piece and see how it turns out.