Text too long to fit on curve: It is not!

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
GollyRojer
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 Pro

Text too long to fit on curve: It is not!

Post by GollyRojer »

I would appreciate some help in understanding what the problem is here. I have a job size of 6"x3.25" and I'm trying to put a Dallas Cowboys logo inside it. The font I'm using is Old Sport 01 College NCV. I haven't done any editing to it other than resizing; the three images of each letter are the font itself. I started with the text about 5" wide and have gone progressively down, trying to get it to wrap along the curve. Every time, I get this messagebox saying the text is too long to fit the curve. This obviously is not the case, as the image shows. There is a shot of my job area with the messagebox, and also the logo I'm trying to reproduce. What could be causing this, please?
Capture of working area
Capture of working area
Dallas-Cowboys-NFL-Team-Colors-Arch-Logo-Mitchell-And-Ness-2.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Text too long to fit on curve: It is not!

Post by Adrian »

What version of Aspire are you using? One thing that looks a bit odd in the screenshot is that the curve doesn't appear to be selected.

GollyRojer

Post by GollyRojer »

Aspire 9.508. I have the text selected when I click on the "Wrap text on curve" icon. The Drawing tab comes up with "Text On A Curve" showing. At that point I click on the curve to select it, and the messagebox displays. Once I click "Okay" the messagebox clears and the text is applied to the curve. "Scale text to fill curve" is selected and the text is stretched out over the entire curve. . If I click "Maintain text size" I get the messagebox again.

I guess I can work with this. It's letting me make changes like selecting "Align to Curve" and changing the percentage of the curve to fill, which is the same result as changing the text length. But there's something wrong or it wouldn't give me that messagebox, and I hate to leave this unfixed (or at least understood) to come back and bite me later.
Attachments
clip.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I'm seeing similar things. I've reported it as I don't think what it is doing is correct in my eyes as it shouldn't be auto fitting the text unless that option is specifically chosen.

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

How did you resize the text before putting it on curve? Did you change the font height in the text form, or have you resized it using handles?

Greg K

GollyRojer

Post by GollyRojer »

I initially set the font height with the text form. I then centered it in the work area, added the curve, and tried to get it to wrap, getting the messagebox as a result. I then resized the text with handles a few times, smaller and smaller, until finally in irritation I dragged it down to about half the size of the curve. When that still got the messagebox, I posted my original message here.

GollyRojer

Post by GollyRojer »

Final result preview file. Haven't carved this yet, but I can't foresee any problems. This is for the lid of a box with the inside, and the inside of the lid, routed out with a bowl-and-tray bit.
Attachments
Preview 1.png