MDF Doors

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Keith Larrett
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

MDF Doors

Post by Keith Larrett »

I recently purchased a set of router bits to make simulated raised panel MDF doors. I would like to try and reduce/eliminate the rounded corners and am looking for some advice on how to toolpath that. I assume I would use the molding toolpath but am not sure how to set it up. Do you just do the half inch or so either side of the corner? What bit works well? A radius ball nose? Tapered? Diameter?

Thanks.
https://www.syzygywoodworks.com

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: MDF Doors

Post by highpockets »

A picture or two would be helpful and/or your project file...
John
Maker of Chips

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: MDF Doors

Post by dealguy11 »

There are at least 3 ways to get sharp corners on MDF doors:

1. Make the top profile a chamfer using a v-bit - can be a sharp chamfer like 30º or 45º to try to simulate a vertical profile as much as possible - then use a profile toolpath with sharp inner corners so that the bit lifts in the corners, kind of like when you v-carve.

2. Do the entire profile with a moulding toolpath. This can be the slowest way, but is easy to set up. You would use a ball nose bit, as large as possible while still getting the detail you need, to cut the profile

2. Cut the main profiles with shaped bits and then use a moulding toolpath with a small radius bit for just the corners. I find that 1/8" is sufficient for most of what we do. You will need to set up a sweep vector that exactly matches whatever other profiles you're putting on the door. The rail vector is a tiny "L" shaped vector that fits into the corner. The legs of the "L" usually don't have to be any longer than 1/16" or so. The drawing below shows some of the vectors used for a simple bevel profile. The main profile is cut with a 120º cutter, the corners are done with a 1/8" ballnose and the verticals are cleaned up with a 1/8" downcut endmill. The tiny leg at the top of the sweep vector is required to make the ballnose bit cut all the way to the top of the profile.

I should also mention that you need to have a pretty stable machine with appropriate feedrates for your machine to make this work, as any deflection will be visible and will need to be sanded out.
Attachments
Bevel Vectors.JPG
Door Render.JPG
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost