V9.5 Rotary First Impression

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

V9.5 Rotary First Impression

Post by spinningwood »

While it's nice to see rotary more integrated into Aspire, my initial impression is that I've lost a lot of capabilities in V9.5 and will probably continue to do my rotary work in V9.0.

In V9.0 I could choose to preview my rotary toolpaths wrapped or unwrapped. Both views are extremely useful to me when developing a rotary project. Unwrapped I can quickly scan the entire design for issues like carving depth and such without having to twiddle around. Aspire does not display coordinate data when previewing the rotary / wrapped models (or I haven't figured out how to turn this feature on yet). I want to be able to check carving depths (Z) and coordinates by hovering over the preview. Without the ability to preview unwrapped, I can't do this in V9.5.

Switching back and forth between V9.0 and V9.5 seems to trigger the Migrate Dialog at startup each time. Wish I could turn that off and I hope that just ignoring / closing the dialog is not causing me any problems.

Ed

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: V9.5 Rotary First Impression

Post by garylmast »

Watch the "What's new" video. It should change your mind.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Aspire does not display coordinate data when previewing the rotary / wrapped models (or I haven't figured out how to turn this feature on yet). I want to be able to check carving depths (Z) and coordinates by hovering over the preview. Without the ability to preview unwrapped, I can't do this in V9.5.
You can switch between the wrapped and unwrapped views.
RotaryToggle.JPG

The unwrapped view shows the Z values you are looking for.
Unwrapped01.JPG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

Post by spinningwood »

Gary and Randall - Thanks for the help. I looked all over for a way to unwrap this morning. Somehow managed to overlook the button at the top and spent all my time looking through menus and the icons/buttons on the left. Now that I know I can unwrap I would agree that V9.5 rotary support is vastly superior to prior versions, but the thing I'm most excited about is the handling of text. The ability to edit without losing all the formatting is a HUGE improvement. Sure wish I had that feature for a project I did last week.

Thanks again.

Ed

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

Post by RebeccaJ »

Hi All,

Other than the What's New Video, we have created quite a lot of tutorials specifically on Rotary: https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... rds=rotary

I hope this helps :)

Thanks
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.