Possible Aspire Add-On Laser JobControl

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
moell54
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Panther

Possible Aspire Add-On Laser JobControl

Post by moell54 »

Hi Vectric Folks,
I heard a rumor that you guys are about to provide a methodology for sending Aspire files straight into laser JobControl without the need for an intermediary software. As I am a new owner of a Trotec Speedy 400 laser, that would save hundreds of dollars in additional software. I already own Aspire for use with my CNC.
Thanks in advance for any information.

Aubrey

EdwardP
Vectric Staff

Re: Possible Aspire Add-On Laser JobControl

Post by EdwardP »

Hi Aubrey,

I'm afraid that JobControl is an entirely closed software controller for your Speedy 400 and Trotec will not allow us to directly output to it. You will need to check with your Trotec dealer to confirm their preferred solution for 3rd party applications like ours, but typically proprietory laser controllers will use either an exported DXF for 2D cut-outs and marking or a greyscale image (potentially 16-bit, in our case) for 3D 'embossing'. These, and other, export options are available from from most of our software products (the 3D model output types are only available from Aspire).

I guess the rumour you heard was actually regarding open source controllers, such as grbl (https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki), which use a standard serial connection via a USB cable. In the next release of our software (V9.5) we will be including an optional little app called VTransfer. This will allow you to 'stream' toolpaths to these supported controllers without requiring additional 'middleware' - such as Universal G-Code Sender (UGS), Easel or chilipeppr - but I'm sorry to say that this isn't going to be useful in your case.

If there are any other Trotec customers out there, please do let us know what workflow you are using...?

E

moell54
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Panther

Post by moell54 »

Thanks Edward for your quick response.
Aubrey

DLWOODWORKS
Vectric Apprentice

Post by DLWOODWORKS »

EdwardP wrote:Hi Aubrey,

I'm afraid that JobControl is an entirely closed software controller for your Speedy 400 and Trotec will not allow us to directly output to it. You will need to check with your Trotec dealer to confirm their preferred solution for 3rd party applications like ours, but typically proprietory laser controllers will use either an exported DXF for 2D cut-outs and marking or a greyscale image (potentially 16-bit, in our case) for 3D 'embossing'. These, and other, export options are available from from most of our software products (the 3D model output types are only available from Aspire).

I guess the rumour you heard was actually regarding open source controllers, such as grbl (https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki), which use a standard serial connection via a USB cable. In the next release of our software (V9.5) we will be including an optional little app called VTransfer. This will allow you to 'stream' toolpaths to these supported controllers without requiring additional 'middleware' - such as Universal G-Code Sender (UGS), Easel or chilipeppr - but I'm sorry to say that this isn't going to be useful in your case.

If there are any other Trotec customers out there, please do let us know what workflow you are using...?

E
Edward,

Do you have a list of laser engraving attachments will be supported in the 9.5 release and VTansfer? Also do you know what the optional addon is going to cost?

I'm planning to a add a laser to my ShopBot. I use Aspire and have been conversing with several laser makers as to their support for Aspire and other things.

Thank you!

Don

EdwardP
Vectric Staff

Post by EdwardP »

Hi Don,

VTransfer is initially just intended for grbl derived controllers - such as the X-carve or X-controller from Inventables - to help fill a gap for those without internet access at the machine who need a non-web based streamer. It is not actually laser specific and is deliberately quite a 'dumb' spooler that simply streams the post-precessed output to grbl - what really matters here is the post.

If you retrofit your shopbot you'll need a new post capable of producing the output you need for your existing controller to support the mods you have made - for example this conversion https://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=6249 requires these posts https://jtechphotonics.com/?p=3851 to trigger the laser appropriately. As with general CNC controllers there are a lot of potential options and you will need to get advice from the dealer on the specifics of their solution.

Good luck with your retrofit project, I think a laser add-on can really extend the capabilities of your machine. I will be talking more about laser retrofits at the UK and US User Group Meetings this year, so if anyone is particularly interested in this topic, and is attending either meeting, then I'd love to exchange ideas and experiences.

Cheers
E