Reverse Inlay / Offset Text

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Stingray1969
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Woodcarver 2440

Reverse Inlay / Offset Text

Post by Stingray1969 »

I was asked to do an indoor sign for a friend and was trying to come up with a different way to go about it; a reverse inlay. Well, that’s what I call it. I only have access to my machine on the weekends so I won’t be able to test it until then but I wanted some input from the forum folks to see if it’s worth the time to design (In my imagination it works).

OK, use the Female Inlay “Pocket” tool-path for the pocket, then reverse the "plug" vectors and use the Male Inlay “Stepped” tool-path with a taller “step depth” than you cut in the pocket tool-path. Also using the Allowance Offset so they fit together.

I think you’ll end up with what looks like floating text above the base. I’ll be using some MDF to test with two different colors of paint to really offset the letters from the base.

If someone has already done this please point me to the thread; I wasn’t able to find anything. That could just be my incorrect search terms though….

Thoughts???
reverse inlay.jpg

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Reverse Inlay / Offset Text

Post by FixitMike »

I do believe it will work just like you expect it to. Be sure to have tabs or other means to hold the loose pieces when you cut the letters. A neat idea.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.