Chipload

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
AlbertaClipper
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built

Chipload

Post by AlbertaClipper »

Doesn't step over have an affect on chipload? "Chip Load given by tool manufacturers is the distance the material is moved into the cutter at the centerline of the tool as each cutting edge rotates through to cut." But how much of our work is done at the centreline of our cutters? Chip load calculators don't take in to account our 8% step overs when we do finish carving. Do I increase my feed or speed by 90% when I finish carve at 8% stepover?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Chipload

Post by IslaWW »

Only RPM, Number of flutes and Feedrate affect chipload.

Stepover and depth of cut will adversely affect deflection on a number of smaller machines, but not so much on commercial brands. Increased pass depth requires more horsepower, especially at recommended chipload

3D finish carving is looking for a reasonable stepover to produce detail. Chipload is never an issue as it is usually an insignificant amount.

" But how much of our work is done at the centreline of our cutters?" Almost all, except for raster passes when pocketing

"Do I increase my feed or speed by 90% when I finish carve at 8% stepover?"
No
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Chipload

Post by TReischl »

Alberta has a point. Note that the definition refers to the centerline of the cutter. If one is only moving over 25% of the cutter width, the calculation will not be correct.

Or, to put it another way, apparently calculators assume full cut. Or, another way to think of it, if we moved the cutter over 1% the calculator would be way, way, WAY wrong.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns