V carve question

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
mwloyd
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: FLA-500

V carve question

Post by mwloyd »

I cut some letters using a 60 degree v bit and it doesn't look like the preview. It ended up with a flat bottom and the corners are not crisp. It looks like the toolpath cut like I was using a small endmill except for the angled sides. I have done many of these v bit cuts and wonder if version 9 is messing with me.
IMG_0876.JPG

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: V carve question

Post by mtylerfl »

If the preview looked ok, then check...

1) You used the correct Post Processor for output

2) You set your Z-zero correctly at your machine

3) some other machine, setup, or controller issues

For sure it’s not a software issue if the preview looked correct. It’s something else.

Your photo looks as if a shallow flat depth was set. But that can’t be it either, since you said the preview was alright.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

mwloyd
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mwloyd »

I recently imported my tool data base from V-Carve because I deleted some of my Aspire tools somehow. Is it possible that the 60 V bit data for toolpath output is for an endmill but previews as a v bit? The tool info looks proper. Should I create a new 60 v bit? I cut a bunch of samples with mdf before I cut the wood and they were all the same.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

No the preview shows the results using the tooling you have selected, As Michael says if preview looks good then its not software so check other things he has mentioned :lol:

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2 SCM Routech Record 120s(1999, 2001)

Post by potzmannwoodshop »

martin54 wrote:No the preview shows the results using the tooling you have selected, As Michael says if preview looks good then its not software so check other things he has mentioned :lol:

Just top point out many posts come with the software, and if he is using one it might need to be tweaked for his machine, that is a software issue.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

potzmannwoodshop wrote:
martin54 wrote:No the preview shows the results using the tooling you have selected, As Michael says if preview looks good then its not software so check other things he has mentioned :lol:

Just top point out many posts come with the software, and if he is using one it might need to be tweaked for his machine, that is a software issue.
Oh, thanks for correcting my post, if I am offering bad advice then I will just read the forum from now on

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

potzmannwoodshop wrote:

The posts would not cause the issues seen in the photo.

Firstly, the < shape in the middle of that photo is very, VERY misleading. Take a look at the cuts to the right or left of it. They are nice clean V shaped cuts with well defined bottom intersections.

What is wrong is the corners of the cuts. And yes, most of us have seen that before. Those of us that still have more than one marble left know this is typically caused by the endmill having a different angle than described in the tool database. Remember, the OP said he had imported his old VCarve tool database? Well, I am not Sherlock, but I think the game is no longer afoot.
Last edited by TReischl on Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

martin54 wrote:
Oh, thanks for correcting my post, if I am offering bad advice then I will just read the forum from now on
Don't do that Martin! You have no idea how many times your bad advice has helped me screw something even worse! :lol:

Besides, you have some of the best bad advice on the forum, I am thinking Leo is in contention though. . . . :shock:
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

mwloyd
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mwloyd »

Somehow I used a vbit fora pocket instead of Vcarve/ngrave. Can someone tellme how to enlarge the page. It fills up the window but the type is so tiny I can barely read it.It changed while I was checking replies.

mwloyd
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mwloyd »

I have confused myself and others here. So I checked the toolpath setup and created a new toolpath for V Carve and it looks to be correct. It is a mystery of how I must have saved the files after checking the preview multiple times, but I have found glitches in earlier versions that were included in updates so I put it out there. Thanks for the replies. PS. I found the menu to change the size of forum type.