Need help solving a problem

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
SuperDave
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Techno Isel 4896 Plus - Servo

Need help solving a problem

Post by SuperDave »

I am working on a project that requires me to machine a generalized, stylized silhouette or profile of the Star Trek Enterprise. I am making progress on the general shape that will be refined at the end of the design process. However, I am struggling with how to create the "Deck" of the ship that is essentially a half disc that is viewed from the side.

I have tried different two rail sweeps and Tilt - Fade but cannot get the shape to do what I need it to do, which is be lower on both ends of the "Deck" and higher in the center in a smooth arc shape.

Any suggestions, examples, demos, would be much appreciated.
STE 1.jpg
STE 2.jpg
"Junk is something you throw away three weeks before you need it."

SuperDave
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Need help solving a problem

Post by SuperDave »

SuperDave wrote:I am working on a project that requires me to machine a generalized, stylized silhouette or profile of the Star Trek Enterprise. I am making progress on the general shape that will be refined at the end of the design process. However, I am struggling with how to create the "Deck" of the ship that is essentially a half disc that is viewed from the side.

I have tried different two rail sweeps and Tilt - Fade but cannot get the shape to do what I need it to do, which is be lower on both ends of the "Deck" and higher in the center in a smooth arc shape.

Any suggestions, examples, demos, would be much appreciated.
STE 1.jpg
STE 2.jpg

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Yes SuperDave, There is a way..Give me a moment to do up some drawings.
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

So, here's how I would approach this.
I would draw 1/2 the profile I want and use the "Turn and Spin" tool to create a component.
I would then export that component as a STL file.
Next, import that same STL file and adjust its position as needed.
I would then "cut" the component in two pieces and mirror the top component and align it to the bottom of the deck.
An option that I like is to then make a copy of the visible model and adjust the shape height of that new component.

I hope this makes sense.

Michael
Attachments
turn 1.JPG
export.JPG
import.JPG
cut.JPG
flip.JPG
finish.JPG
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

SuperDave
Vectric Craftsman

Post by SuperDave »

Michael,

I am assuming that the Turn and Spin is a 9.0 feature, which I do not currently have.

However, your STL technique did provide the solution for me in 8.5. . .

I created a circle the diameter of the Deck/Upper Bridge, and split it in half to make two rails.
I then created the half profile of the entire upper deck to run a two rail sweep of the Deck/Bridge diameter, yielding a complete top view of the Deck/Upper Bridge.
I then added a base dimension that was equal to the thickness of the Deck, which gave me the full diameter model of the Deck/Upper Bridge.
I then created a vector of half of diameter of the Deck/Upper Bridge and deleted the Component part outside the vector. This yielded half of the Deck/Bridge Bridge.
I exported the half Deck/Upper Bridge component to an STL and then imported the STL back into the work space.
I made the adjustments to the STL to allow me to position it and tilt only the X Axis of the model, yielding the exact part orientation I needed.
I then merged the STL Part into the Enterprise model and adjusted the component height to keep the overall depth under 1/2" (the part is going onto a custom vehicle as an ornament) and the results are below.

The STL was pretty rough around the edge of the Deck and I did a quick and dirty smoothing, but it still needs work. I will eventually do a few more iterations until I get the best model I can, and call it good.

Thanks for the heads up on the STL method. . . it was the perfect solution for 8.5 owners.
Attachments
STE 1B.jpg
STE 2B.jpg