Possible feature suggestion

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
kyeakel
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger STV4800

Possible feature suggestion

Post by kyeakel »

While working on my first project that used a hold down fixture with destaco clamps, I broke a 1/8" bit because I didn't have clearance enough above the clamp. I rearranged the order I cut the vectors in order to miss the clamps while making individual cutouts. Before I found this solution, I wondered if it would be possible to add way points into the vector selection order? This would move the bit from the last cut finished to a user defined safe spot (in X,Y without making a cut) before heading off to the next cut.
Maybe there is already a way to do this?

Thanks,
Kipp
CAMaster Stinger 1
Shopbot PRT 9648
STV4800
Aspire
Cut2d,Cut2dLaser

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Possible feature suggestion

Post by 4DThinker »

You can set a clearance Z value that is taller than your clamps so that when the bit moves across to the next vector it is higher than your clamps. Other than that you'll have to play with the vector selection order to see if you can insure that clamps are missed. When I have to use clamps around the perimeter of a piece I use the center of the stock as my home position, and double/triple check before running the job that I'm not going to hit any clamps.

To change the clearance Z value open the toolpath side, click on SET at the top. The homeZ and clearance Z values are near the bottom.

kyeakel
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger STV4800

Re: Possible feature suggestion

Post by kyeakel »

I do know about the Z clearance, sometimes the combination of tool length and clamp height still won't allow it to be used successfully. On some high dollar machines I've used in the past there was a way to define an area that the tool would not be allowed to enter. This would be another way to implement this feature.

Thanks,
Kipp
CAMaster Stinger 1
Shopbot PRT 9648
STV4800
Aspire
Cut2d,Cut2dLaser