Toolpath calculation recomended PC HW

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
MrYuri
Model of CNC Machine: F-600

Toolpath calculation recomended PC HW

Post by MrYuri »

Hi,
I have upgraded to a decent PC (hopefully) but when I hit "calculate toolpath" it still takes ages.
I've checked task manager to see whether I'm low on resources and during very detailed toolpath calculation (object 200 mm in diameter with 0,5mm tool and 7% step) I don't see any significant peaks.

What needs to be "good" on the PC to calculate the toolpaths faster?

Thanks
Attachments
screen from mid calculation
screen from mid calculation

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Toolpath calculation recomended PC HW

Post by Adrian »

How long is ages and what sort of toolpath is it? If there's no copyrighted material involved you could attach your file so it can be checked to make sure there aren't any errors etc. Excessive toolpath calculation can often be a sign of problems with the vectors.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

If you right click on the CPU graph, and select "Change Graph to Logical Cores", you'll probably see that 1 core is doing all the work, because Aspire is not multithreaded.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

MrYuri

Post by MrYuri »

Ages is more than 40 minutes.
When I did the post about this, it was in about 40% and now it is at about 90% calculated (my estimate by the yellow bar on bottom). And now is 30 minutes later.
I think I can rule out vector issues as object is 24 closed vectors.
Each is made into a simple round object.
Final stacked model I made into a single component.
I made a subtraction and added a zero plane as it will be a mold.
Total height is less than 10mm.

btw I still have Aspire 8.5

MrYuri

Post by MrYuri »

ger21 wrote:If you right click on the CPU graph, and select "Change Graph to Logical Cores", you'll probably see that 1 core is doing all the work, because Aspire is not multithreaded.

nope :(
Attachments
aspire resources2.PNG

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Are you running the 32 bit or 64 bit version of the software, what ram do you have fitted & what graphics card, how much free space have you on the HDD all these things make a difference :lol: :lol:

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I'd ask myself: do I really need a step-over of 0.035mm (i.e. about half to a third of the diameter of a human hair)?

At that resolution you are calculating 5,714 raster passes (half that for an offset toolpath).
Last edited by adze_cnc on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrYuri

Post by MrYuri »

martin54 wrote:Are you running the 32 bit or 64 bit version of the software, what ram do you have fitted & what graphics card, how much free space have you on the HDD all these things make a difference :lol: :lol:
Aspire is 64 bit,
graphics card is few years old but as you can see on screens it's not even sweating during the computing.
Ram is Corsair 16GB KIT DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz CL15 Vengeance
I have aspire on SSD with 50 GB free.

other details can be seen on screens.

MrYuri

Post by MrYuri »

adze_cnc wrote:I'd ask myself: do I really need a step-over of 0.035mm (i.e. about half to a third of the diameter of a human hair)?

At that resolution you are calculating 5,714 raster passes (half that for an offset toolpath).

appreciate the feedback but that does not add to the explanation for the question.
just for info: If I use a small bit and have big stepover, lines are visible.
If I use bigger bit tool it will not get the details

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Just setup a file that I think matches what you're describing and it calculated in about a minute on my PC which is less powerful than yours. Really need to see the actual file to know what's going on.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

I agree with Adrian - there's something odd with your file. I tried setting up a similar sized model with a .41mm (1/64") bit at 7% stepover on a much lower spec'd machine and came in around 5 minutes. I'm also struggling with amount of detail you're needing. I also set up this model with a 1/16" bit (1.59mm) and the difference in visible detail was barely noticeable. From more than a meter away I would not be able to see it.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

MrYuri

Post by MrYuri »

dealguy11 wrote:I agree with Adrian - there's something odd with your file. I tried setting up a similar sized model with a .41mm (1/64") bit at 7% stepover on a much lower spec'd machine and came in around 5 minutes. I'm also struggling with amount of detail you're needing. I also set up this model with a 1/16" bit (1.59mm) and the difference in visible detail was barely noticeable. From more than a meter away I would not be able to see it.
I make small models that you don't observe from meter away but when you hold it in your hands.

MrYuri

Post by MrYuri »

Adrian wrote:Just setup a file that I think matches what you're describing and it calculated in about a minute on my PC which is less powerful than yours. Really need to see the actual file to know what's going on.
will post it later on