"Code 1" - Failed to open file

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
pknvectric
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra & StingerI

"Code 1" - Failed to open file

Post by pknvectric »

I've been battling this message since I began using Vectric 2 years ago. I cannot imagine that I am the only person confronted with this issue over and over and over again.

No, the file is not corrupt. I simply have to reboot and suddenly the file will open again. When the file is closed SOMETHING is not closing / releasing properly. If I simply knew which thread / operation to manually cancel I'd be happy but rebooting isn't acceptable. Frustrating...

It happened all the time if I clicked the "X" to close a file so I stopped doing this and began clicking "FILE CLOSE". Now the problem is back again even when choosing FILE/CLOSE. Aspire version 8.511 Build 3026.2680.418

Can anyone tell me what thread / process to kill when using "End Task"?

My only guess is that it has something to do with Google Drive backup / sync.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: "Code 1" - Failed to open file

Post by mtylerfl »

What did Vectric Tech Support tell you about this error? (You posted about this same issue back in April in a thread regarding a Code 103 error.)
Last edited by mtylerfl on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you try to access the file while it's being replicated then you can get a type 1 error. If your files are large (big toolpaths, lots of models etc) you would be more likely to see the problem as the replication would take longer.

It's not really a Vectric error as the same thing happens with any file that you replicate with DropBox/Google Drive/OneDrive etc.

pknvectric
Vectric Apprentice

Post by pknvectric »

I was never given a satisfactory answer last time I posted about this issue... While I understand it is related to syncing I do believe it is still a vectric bug which needs to be solved. All the other files I have on my computer are also syncing and I don't regularly get locked out of any other program files.

This particular file is 37mb.

In the meantime I will simply disable syncing while I am working on projects and then try to remember to re-enable syncing before I leave the office for the day. (Not a good solution as I'll forget 90% of the time.). :-)

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Nope, not a Vectric "bug".

There are lots of other software programs that are running that can and do cause what you are seeing.

Before you hang the "bug" label on Vectric you should understand that. From what I have googled it can and does happen with other programs besides Vectric. Of course, those companies do not provide a forum for you, or if they do, could care less.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

pknvectric
Vectric Apprentice

Post by pknvectric »

Regardless of which company's code is responsible Vectric customers are dealing with the consequences therefore it is Vectric's problem.

I realize Vectric is not going to influence Google, etc so I would suggest the problem be determined / replicated by Vectric staff so they can offer a work around which is faster / better / smarter than a total reboot of the system.

If I come across a solution better than pausing all backup/sync activity I will return and post it here.

btw - I am not ripping Vectric. I am absolutely thrilled with the software. Truly impressed... Every day I learn more functionality and my respect for the product grows.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's not the Vectric software that is hanging onto the file handle as far as I know though so what could they do to fix it? You could run the Process Monitor from the SysInternals suite to see what is locking the file out.

The simple solution is not to save to a folder that is replicated by Google Drive. For what it's worth I use OneDrive which is built into Windows and I haven't seen the code 1 error with that but I changed PC at the same time as switching from Google Drive to OneDrive so it might just be the faster processing.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Can you not set your system to sync & update at a certain time of the day like after you have left the office or if your shutting the system down before you leave some time late afternoon when you have finished working with the software for the day.
What other software are you running that has files the size of your Vectric files? My guess would be none if you haven't had any error messages with other software. :lol: