Best bit for inlays

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
TSans

Best bit for inlays

Post by TSans »

I'm about to start an inlay project using the method described in a few of the Vectric posts but was wondering what the difference might be in using a 90 degree versus a 60 degree V bit fore the inlay.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2 SCM Routech Record 120s(1999, 2001)

Re: Best bit for inlays

Post by potzmannwoodshop »

I prefer 60 degree bits, allows you a bit of ability to take some off with sanding without changing the pattern as much as you do with a 90 degree

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I've used a 60 degree Onsrud Engraving bit (.01"flat) on all my VInlays, and even then if the board wasn't flat and finished...sometimes the very tiniest details where flat depth wasn't even close to being being approched....changed shape.
It would have been worse with a 90 degree as the angle is shallower.

A lot depends on the size and detail of the inlay though.

Some guys had started using 30 degree bits for that reason(haven't heard much back :( )
I'll be trying a 30 engraving on my next on though,as I LOVE tiny detailed stuff.
IF I did this "Trees" again I'd definitely like a 30 0r 45 degree as I lost a couple leaves using the 60.
scott
Attachments
tree original pic.jpg
tree VInlay.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

TSans

Post by TSans »

Thanks for both your suggestions.

I'll go with the 60.

Thanks again,

Tom

randyr
Model of CNC Machine: Speedline (Carl Bruce)

Post by randyr »

I make LOTS of inlays. A few years ago I switched from 60 to 30. Will never go back. Maybe it was the 60 degree bits I was using, but I'm getting much nicer cuts with better detail now than I ever got with the 60-degree bits.

randy

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

A few months ago my oldest son picked me up a RC-1108 Insert V-Groove 60 Deg https://www.amanatool.com/rc-1108-inser ... k-cnc.html. Fantastic! :D On some of my vcarves, the mask would get little pulls, lifts, etc. Not anymore, since I started using this bit. I had tried a lot of different V-bits, but this gives the best finish by far. I rarely run a 2nd pass on the Vcarve anymore.

DLWOODWORKS
Vectric Apprentice

Post by DLWOODWORKS »

Looked at the Amana insert V-bits. I sure wish they had a 1/2" shank (2 knife) for a 60 degree bit. Would eliminate all potential vibration or bit flex. I've become a very big fan of 1/2" bits for all my v-carving and profiling. I still use 1/4" for cutting stuff out or rough passes on 3D carving.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Amana always looks nice, I get sticker shock every time I look though
Doug