How do I elliminate carving air?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
fordtman
Model of CNC Machine: AKG6090

How do I elliminate carving air?

Post by fordtman »

Can anyone tell me if it is possible in Aspire to create a toolpath that does not include the machining of air around a blank. Here is a simple example and yes it would be simpler to do this by hand but I will be carving something on the end product. I have a block of wood with a triangular cross-section and want to round off the top edge as shown in the attachments. The only way that I can find in Aspire to do this is to define the block as having a rectangular cross section and carving air at the sides of the triangle until the tool gets to the actual wood of the triangle. Is there a gadget similar to the Rounding Toolpath that can be used to round off only one corner edge of a block and not four corner edges? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Round1.PNG
round2.PNG
Round3.PNG

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: How do I elliminate carving air?

Post by dealguy11 »

My suggestion is to use a pocket toolpath to knock off the corner. You will get a little air cutting (though you could minimize this with 2 pocket toolpaths, the second starting and ending deeper than the first), then cut the round with either a carving toolpath or a moulding toolpath.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I'm with Steve on this subject. Think of just the small triangle that needs removing as one or two small blocks that can be pocketed off. You might even be able to skip that step and just do a moulding toolpath to shape the top and simultaneously remove the whole triangular tip.

4D

fordtman
Model of CNC Machine: AKG6090

Post by fordtman »

Thanks guys I hadn't thought of using a pocket toolpath, it certainly makes sense, really good tip. A finishing tool would be able to handle what is left. Problem solved, much appreciated. :)

Jim