Pocket cutout of 3D project.

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Devlin
Model of CNC Machine: Avid CNC 4848Pro

Pocket cutout of 3D project.

Post by Devlin »

When I create 3D projects and then do the pocket cut to cut it out from the wood I have a problem. If I simply set a boundary and cut on the outside with an endmill it starts at the top of the wood and does quite a few Air cuts and wastes time. If I do the project onto 3D it does a lot of up and down weird cuts. The real problem is when I use project to 3D it will not leave the tabs I set. Even if I use 3D tabs. Now I could use a start height to minimize the air cuts. Any suggestions. The loss,of tabs in 3D is bothersome.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Pocket cutout of 3D project.

Post by Adrian »

Why are you using a pocket cut to remove it? You should be using a profile cut.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I am pretty sure he meant a profile cut since he referenced using tabs. We all know there is no such option in "pocket".

Having one's cake and eating it too is always a problem. Of course the tabs disappear when telling it to project onto the 3d model. Makes total sense to me. But then, that is me.

I gave up a long time ago trying to make the machine be as efficient as I thought it should be. My conclusion was that I wasted more time trying to shave seconds or even minutes off something than it was worth. I decided I was not Ford Motor Company and every second was worth $60 or such.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

In that case I don't see the issue. The profile cut has a start depth on it and without the project option it won't destroy tabs. Something else is going on here but as usual with this sort of thing without a file it's guesswork.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Interestingly Adrian I created a test project and it went ahead and remove the tabs. But I'm running 4.5 so maybe that is changed.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Terminology again I expect. When someone mentions a profile cut and 3D tabs I assume they mean the tabs created by the toolpath itself. If it's tabs created as part of the 3D model then they will be cut out as the profile toolpath knows nothing about them.