Flipping XY coordinates in Aspire

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Flipping XY coordinates in Aspire

Post by adze_cnc »

SCW wrote:2) I don't want to keep flipping vectors back and forth and I design them, cut samples, and then refine the design some more.
OK, flippant answer time: sell this machine and buy one that has a long x-axis and short y-axis.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

SCW wrote:Well, I've just emailed both Vectric and Axiom customer support... Hopefully one of them will add this "swapping" feature for me... :lol:

You guys can thank me later... :wink:
Thank you for what? Most of us have zippity doo dah need for this "feature".
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

SCW wrote: 3) I'm an engineer... I don't accept, "that's how it is and that's how it will always be!"
So... if you're an engineer, why don't you design a better cnc?
Maybe one that mounts on the wall (for space saving) and it could automatically orient it's home position to match your design.
You design, and it comprehends. Sounds easy enough.

SCW
Model of CNC Machine: Axoim AR8 Pro+ (w/ 4th axis); Aspire 9.0

Post by SCW »

adze_cnc wrote:
SCW wrote:2) I don't want to keep flipping vectors back and forth and I design them, cut samples, and then refine the design some more.
OK, flippant answer time: sell this machine and buy one that has a long x-axis and short y-axis.
Honestly, If you can recommend such a machine that supports a 4th-axis, then I might consider that! So far, I'm not that impressed with Axiom!

SCW

Post by SCW »

Samson wrote:
SCW wrote: 3) I'm an engineer... I don't accept, "that's how it is and that's how it will always be!"
So... if you're an engineer, why don't you design a better cnc?
Maybe one that mounts on the wall (for space saving) and it could automatically orient it's home position to match your design.
You design, and it comprehends. Sounds easy enough.
Lol... All in due time. I've only been milling wood on my CNC for approx. 10-15 hours; I'm still trying to learn the software. But there are a few guys at my local CNC club that have built CNC machines from scratch so, we'll see what happens.

SCW

Post by SCW »

TReischl wrote:
SCW wrote:Well, I've just emailed both Vectric and Axiom customer support... Hopefully one of them will add this "swapping" feature for me... :lol:

You guys can thank me later... :wink:
Thank you for what? Most of us have zippity doo dah need for this "feature".
LOL... 130 years ago, you'd still be holding on to your horse and carriage while saying, "No one needs one of those automobile doohickeys!" Are you really telling me that you would continue to rotate your vectors by 90 degrees even if Aspire came out with a feature that allowed you to customize the XY-axis to match how you want to orientate a project to your machine??? Every legit software out there lets you switch between landscape and portrait orientation, so why doesn't Aspire? After all, what does it hurt for me to ask Vectric or Axiom to add such a feature going forward...? I can't be the only one out there who would use this feature!

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

As 4Dthinker mentioned early on, you can easily make this change this in the post processor.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

SCW...
Your dislike of the required swap from landscape design to portrait cutting is not uncommon. Reason is that the 2 by 3 machines can be produced cheaper using a landscape orientation. Virtually all mfgr's that offer that size, offer them as 2' wide by 3' tall. Most new users find making the swap irritating. Even a few more experienced users feel the same after time. After you do it a few times it is a simple process.

You have a few options: (from lesser cost to greater)
1) Use a table layout similar to what I show below and the swap is less than 5 seconds from landscape to portrait (I teach a class on this)
2) Send me your AXIOM and I will add a new controller and swap your axes to the orientation you desire
3) Order one of my "Ultimate Woodworking Machines" (A small format ATC machine custom built to your specs) with a 4th axis "to die for"
Swap Table.JPG
2030 ATC.JPG
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

BDM
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BDM »

SCW wrote:
adze_cnc wrote:
Honestly, If you can recommend such a machine that supports a 4th-axis, then I might consider that! So far, I'm not that impressed with Axiom!

My robotics team bought the 5x5 version of this machine http://www.veloxcncrouters.com/vr-5025-4-x-2
You can get all the bells and whistles you want depending on how much you want to spend, but it is in the "right" orientation for you.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Every legit software out there lets you switch between landscape and portrait orientation, so why doesn't Aspire?

If by that you mean you are given the option to print your design in either landscape or portrait orientation then that has nothing to do with the software you are using, that is a feature of the print driver not the software you used to design your project :lol: :lol: :lol:

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I don't know I've used a lot of CAD packages since they came out all those many years ago. I do not recall one that allows you to rotate the XY coordinate system on the screen. Of course I've only been at it for about 40 years so what would I know compared to someone who has operated machine for 10 to 15 hours?

Then again, since I am a mechanical engineer with a degree from Northeastern University Boston Massachusetts and I wrote commercial software for CNC machines for 25 years I sure do appreciate the input.

Of course on this forum I only consider myself a middleweight since I'm in the company of some folks would do this everyday for a living.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

SCW

Post by SCW »

martin54 wrote:If by that you mean you are given the option to print your design in either landscape or portrait orientation then that has nothing to do with the software you are using, that is a feature of the print driver not the software you used to design your project :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would disagree. Microsoft programs, for example, will let you set up pages that are in the portrait, landscape, or a mixed format of both portrait and landscape... which is independent of the printer's driver. Adobe Acrobat will also let you create documents in portrait and or landscape formats.

SCW

Post by SCW »

BDM wrote:My robotics team bought the 5x5 version of this machine http://www.veloxcncrouters.com/vr-5025-4-x-2
You can get all the bells and whistles you want depending on how much you want to spend, but it is in the "right" orientation for you.
Oh, man... I'm drooling! I would love to have one of their machines, especially one with the auto tool change. Unfortunately, at the time, I was only familiar with the brands that Rocker had.

SCW

Post by SCW »

Rcnewcomb wrote:As 4Dthinker mentioned early on, you can easily make this change this in the post processor.
Yes, thank you. I do plan to give this route a go. I'm just waiting for a reply back from Axiom now, to see if they have any instructions before I start digging through YouTube.