Is the latest 9.016 or 9.015?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

Is the latest 9.016 or 9.015?

Post by spinningwood »

I'm on version 9.015. Checked the release notes today and see notes for version 9.016. Tried to update, but get a message that 9.015 is the latest.

I remember in the past the release notes would sometimes not be available right away when an update was released. Is the current practice to get the release notes published before the update (in the case 9.016) is released? Or do I need to investigate why I can't get to 9.016?

Ed

rmooreh

Re: Is the latest 9.016 or 9.015?

Post by rmooreh »

My Aspire in at 9.015 and I just check for a new updates and found none.

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

Post by spinningwood »

Thanks! Now I don't feel like I'm missing out on an update. I haven't had any problems with any of the bugs showing to be fixed in 9.016, but I like to keep up to date.

For those who haven't checked the release notes recently, here's the 9.016 section:

Version 9.016
Bug Fixes
Fix preview artifacts in some cases on slower simulation speed.
Fix toolpath-related crash when changing from single-sided to double-sided.
Remove unintended 'customize' menu.
Restore profile parameters when switching to create tabs.

Ed

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

How about adding under bug fixes: "Fix version update number to match the current version that has been released". Just sayin...

4D ;)

EdwardP
Vectric Staff

Post by EdwardP »

Hi all,

Sorry - I can see why this appears perplexing! The latest version of Aspire remains 9.015. As you can probably appreciate though we continually work on the codebase (some of which is shared by more than one product) and patch periodically - the decisions as to precisely *when* to release a specific patch is a fairly complex judgment call, however. It is based on the balance of the liklihood and impact of any newly discovered issues vs. the inherent risk of introducing code changes to a mature project, which is in daily use by a large customer base.

In this case we actually released an independent laser product (Cut2D Laser Desktop) specifically to support a new piece of hardware for one of our partners. It utilised elements of our shared code based and triggered a version increment to 9.016 and thus automatically appeared in the online release notes - intended only for those customers.

I'll review this process with the dev team this week, because I do see why this is confusing, but please rest assured that as all these fixes and changes are tested and signed-off they will be provided in the form of free maintenance updates across the board at some point - it is just that you may not see *every* minor version appearing for *every* product immediately.

Sorry about messing with your heads a bit and I hope that I have cleared up the confusion.

Also, don't forget that all v9.0xx customers will be entitled to v9.5 of their respective products free of charge when they are released later this year - and they always contain *a lot* more stuff than just tweaks and fixes...

Cheers,
Edward