Z Height Mapping Warped Door Panels?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Z Height Mapping Warped Door Panels?

Post by ChrisInEstes »

It looks like I'll be 3D routing more & more door panels. These are already made doors, which usually means the panels are warped... Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. Of course, that makes them more difficult to deal with than if I make the panel before the door is assembled.

Here's the question... What's a good, money efficient, way for me to make a 3D digital map of these door panels? I'm think a Z axis proble that touches every 1/2" or 1" in an X & Y array, over the whole panel, that records that data so I can make a model of the warped panel to project the tool paths to. I've got mach3, and a control box with a Gecko G540, and Aspire for CAD/CAM. Is there anything out there for around $100 that's fairly plug & play?

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Z Height Mapping Warped Door Panels?

Post by highpockets »

Chris,

Check out gcode ripper
http://www.scorchworks.com/Gcoderipper/gcoderipper.html

You can do the design work as normal then use gcode ripper to "map" the door panel at the time of machining. You don't need a probe. I've used a v-bit (that I was carving with) and a feeler gauge hooked to the probe port on my CNC, just keep moving it to the next probe spot. I use Mach 3.

Would like to say I came up with this technique, but I saw it in a Youtube video
John
Maker of Chips

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

John?

Watched that video. Hmmmm, now ya got me thinking. See the smoke curling out of my ears? It would seem to me that one would be able to just wrap the surface with some aluminum foil and then let it probe away. Is that doable? Would be handy for doing things like gun stocks.

Went to the website you listed. Sheesh, would it kill the guy to actually do a video or a write up showing how that auto probing works? :::sigh::: I guess that is how we learn. Thanks for posting that, I had no idea such a thing existed.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

TReischl wrote: It would seem to me that one would be able to just wrap the surface with some aluminum foil and then let it probe away. Is that doable? Would be handy for doing things like gun stocks.
I don't see why not, seems you would have to stick the aluminum foil to the surface pretty good so it didn't rise up in areas. That would cause probing errors.

TReischl wrote:Went to the website you listed. Sheesh, would it kill the guy to actually do a video or a write up showing how that auto probing works? :::sigh::: I guess that is how we learn. Thanks for posting that, I had no idea such a thing existed.
I know what you mean, it took quite a while before I figured out how it all worked. The manual is poor also. There are several pretty good videos on YouTube that do a fare job.

I've posted on several threads when the topic gun stocks has come up. Haven't actually done one, but it should work.
John
Maker of Chips

Beltramidave
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FLA Saturn 4x4 / 7W & 60W lasers

Post by Beltramidave »

Check out a program called Autoleveller. I haven't used it in years, so not even sure that it is around yet. I used it when I was first getting started and my DIY machine's spoilboard was not level. I did the tin foil trip and it actually worked pretty well.
Dave
https://lakesedgewoodcraft.com/

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

The aluminum foil trick does work. If you spray your object with a low tack adhesive spray (assuming you can) it helps keep the aluminum tight to your object.

I used the Autoleveler software quite a while ago, and it works quite well. One would think that something better (more intuitive perhaps) has hit the market, but I haven't looked lately.

The NWA series (Pirahna, Shark) has an Virtual Zero functionality now (I have the Pirahna) and it determines the size of your piece, and takes 5 measurements (lower left/right, upper left/right and center) and zeros the Z-axis accordingly for your project file. It works pretty good actually (which is a bit of a shock for a NWA product/app).

I wish there was something similar for the Axiom line (I also have the AR4Pro+), and I also wish the probing devices that out there were cheaper than they are (there are DIY variations, but most involve the use of a 3D printer, and I don't have access to one).

Allan

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Thanks for the tips.

The g code ripper sounds interesting... but really risky for use with other peoples' doors. It might work if the whole panel wasn't being routed, but if I'm going to the edge, or a bit past on all sides of a panel, then no matter where that probe is, it'd come of at least one of the panel edges into the cove. I have to keep a look out for something more (graceful?). I really want a 3D map I can bring into Aspire.

Chris

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Ohhhhhhh.... The probing happens as a separate operation, then the G-Code is modified to fit the probe results. Hmmm... Maybe that'd work...

Of course, now I see the bit missing the contact and driving it into the material. :shock:

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

I suppose I'm making progress.

- I'm now sure I don't want to use something like G-Code ripper or Autoleveller to modify my G-code after it's been created.
- I definitely want to make a 3D model of the panel, and bring that into Aspire to work with.
- Mach3 has a built in probing wizard.

I found the probe I think I want to get... (Link Below) It's supposed to work with Mach3. The seller says to ask, if I have questions, so I did... Maybe he'll line me out when I buy a probe from him.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-3AXIS-DIGI ... SwyYFaEzV1

Chris

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

G Code Ripper is probably easier.
After you do the probing, you still need to convert the point cloud into a 3D model.

Several years ago, I wrote an AutoCAD macro to create a mesh surface from the Mach3 probing Wizard point cloud, which made it quick and easy. Since I didn't have a probe at the time, I never even used it.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Project update: I've been probed!

I decided on a 3D probe rather than trying the "Tin Foil Hatting" of everything that needs mapped. I've got a cable on the way... which will plug into the back of my controller. I still need to figure out 3 (I think) things... How to set up Mach3 to take in the probe data... will the Mach3 built in probing will do what I want, or if something like Probe-it would be better for me... and what software to use to create STLs from the generated point clouds.

Here's a pic of the probe. It's a Drewtronics S5000LED. It seems to be really nicely made for the $150 it costs.

Chris
Attachments
Drewtronics 3D Probe Pic.JPG

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

That looks pretty nice. I might have to get one of those.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

Youtube has a bunch of videos on G-code ripper here is just one

Don

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

The cable came in today... Maybe I'll get it set up this weekend.

Chris
Attachments
Cable.JPG