Nesting Issue

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Nesting Issue

Post by highpockets »

I know I should be able to figure this out, but I've hit a mental wall.

I have a part that is made up of multiple vectors that must stay together.

When I try to use the Nesting Parts Layout option it explodes the part into individual pieces and I can see to figure out how to keep it all together. I've used Nesting before with no issues, it's just this one job that's giving me problems. I have all the vectors "Grouped", but that doesn't seem to have any affect.

Using Aspire 9.015.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I can manipulate it manually to get the layout, but that's not the point.
The part
The part
The settings
The settings
The explosion
The explosion
John
Maker of Chips

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Nesting Issue

Post by Adrian »

You'll probably need to do groups within groups. It needs a lot of help with what should stay together when there are overlaps within vectors.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

To amplify Adrian's comment, when I have trouble with nesting it's usually one of two things. Either there are overlapping vectors (or doubled vectors) or else there is a stray vector that falls outside the "boundary" of the shape that's being nested (for example, if there is label text on a shape and the text falls outside the shape a little bit). Doubled vectors in particular give it problems and can be hard to find. Sometimes multiple groupings help. Sometimes you just have to find the doubled vector and make changes.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Same experience as Adrian and Steve.

I also noticed the nesting algorithm is very efficient with a lot of complex shapes, but not with a few rectangular shapes. In this case, you may have much better results placing the parts manually.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

After playing around with this a bit (tried all sorts of progressive groups with no luck) I think I figured out a solution, at least it worked prefect for my instance.

I grouped the vectors in one level of grouping I then created a bounding vector around the group and grouped the first group with the bounding vector.

Hope this makes since....
Image 154.png
John
Maker of Chips