This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
gibl5s
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x96

evenly space dado's on a file

Post by gibl5s »

charles cassidy.crv3d
(237 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
I am laying out a bench seat and need to place 4 dado's evenly along the arch. can anyone help me accomplish this???
thanks so much

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: evenly space dado's on a file

Post by 4DThinker »

Are the dados parallel to each other, or do they fan out radially to match the arch?

Parallel is easy. Make one, then use the array tool to make a row of them evenly spaced.
Radially to match the arch use the "Copy along vectors" tool under Offset and Layout.

gibl5s
Vectric Apprentice

Post by gibl5s »

thanks for your help!!. I attached the file. I used the copy and array tool but they wont go around radially. What I am drawing is a bench seat that has 4 dados ( spaced equally) radially on it. I can make them go across it but the dados doesn't turn and follow the radius. Hope you can understand my explanation.
surely I am just doing a small thing wrong haa but since I cant fix it, it is a large thing!!!
thanks for you help

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Something like this?
Image 148.png
John
Maker of Chips

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Your two original dados aren't on radial lines of the arc, but in the file I attached I've replaced them with 4 that are, and all are the same distance from the top that your two were. It looks a little odd because the sides of your seat aren't on true radial lines of the arc either. If you just want to add two in the middle that are radial, but leave your two alone then delete the two outside ones I added and copy in your two original dados.

4D
Attachments
charles cassidy_4D.crv3d
(288 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

gibl5s
Vectric Apprentice

Post by gibl5s »

thanks so much !!! Now tell me how you did it!!!! I like to learn.
thanks again

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

gibl5s wrote:Now tell me how you did it!!!! I like to learn...
There is a Copy along vectors tool under Offset and Layout.
I made a vertical copy of your dado outline.
I added a short vector at the top and bottom that was how far your dado was from the top edge.
Then I Grouped the two lines with the outline of the dado I made.
I then used the offset tool to make a centerline that the dado I created could be copied along that line. I offset the top line by half the total height of my dado plus the two short lines.
I trimmed the line to start and end at the centers of your original dados, then used that Copy along vectors tool to copy the dado I made 4 times along the offset line.
To use the Copy along vectors tool you need to first shift click on the shape to be copied then the vector you want to copy it along. Then select the tool.
In the tool select Copy Object, enter the Number of Copies, then select Align objects to curve. Click on Copy at the bottom.

The dimensions I took and left were so I could draw a vertical version of your vector outline the same size. The centerline of the area is the line it was copied along. If you look close you'll see the short vectors I added at top and bottom.

Mind you, I had to fiddle a bit until I got the final result.
I hope that helps.

4D

gibl5s
Vectric Apprentice

Post by gibl5s »

Haa thanks so much for your help