Edge lit sign

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Edge lit sign

Post by highpockets »

I've been playing with edge lit signs and with the help of some friends from the board I've made some progress. The only problem I was still having was the cross hatch wasn't going all the way to the edge of the outline leaving a small area not engraved. After doing some fulling around I figured out the feed speed was too fast causing the deceleration to stop the drag bit short of the outline. Now I need to figure out exactly where the sweet spot is....
2018-04-27 10.02.03.jpg
2018-04-27 10.02.14.jpg
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Re: Edge lit sign

Post by highpockets »

I'm going to call this a success.
2018-04-27 21.53.19.jpg
John
Maker of Chips

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

highpockets wrote:I'm going to call this a success.
Well, it seems difficult to pretend it's not. Well done.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

Very much a success! Nicely done.
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Doesn't look to shabby to me John so your probably right :lol: :lol:

What's the base on this piece ??

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

martin54 wrote:
There's a pretty tight budget on the materials cost so I opted for MDF with Rust-Oleum Stone Accent paint. It's a fast finish that covers the laminate seam with no sanding. And it looks nice.

There will be brass plaques on the front with the wording "This Candle Lit By:" and then the name of the person who purchased the plaque.
2018-04-28 17.31.26.jpg
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

highpockets wrote:
martin54 wrote:
There's a pretty tight budget on the materials cost so I opted for MDF with Rust-Oleum Stone Accent paint. It's a fast finish that covers the laminate seam with no sanding. And it looks nice.

There will be brass plaques on the front with the wording "This Candle Lit By:" and then the name of the person who purchased the plaque.
2018-04-28 17.31.26.jpg
That comes as a bit of a surprise, Obviously you have done your homework John but from what I have seen a lot of these special effect paints are a bit more expensive. I would have thought that the cost of the MDF with the primer & topcoat would be more expensive than a piece of wood :lol: :lol:

At first glance I actually thought you had used a piece of corian for the base.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Did think long and hard about using wood for the base. I've made the plaques for the past 3 years out of wood. In order to achieve the 1 1/2" thickness I needed (using a battery pack) the wood started getting more expensive and Corian was just out of the question. The finished price for the base is coming in at $2.00 per and there is very little labor.
John
Maker of Chips

woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Post by woody53 »

That sure looks like a success to me. Very nicely done. I will keep trying to do more too.

Dave

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I've used the stone finish before, love the look but it is a bit pricey and takes quite a bit longer to dry than paint - Prone to clog up the nozzle too, but worth the bother for one off projects.

You need to luck into a load of corian, I got a near lifetime supply a year back for almost nothing on craigslist.
Doug

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

I thought about Corian, I've used it in the past and it mills great, but I needed 1 1/2" height, I'd either have to find 1 1/2" thick Corian (not cheap) or glue up 3 pieced, no way to hide the seams.

Way before my CNC hobby I used Rust-Oleum stone to create a bunch of wood plaques I bought at Hobby Lobby. I had real good luck with that project. I used a heat lamp to speed up the curing process on the plaques. That was back in 2003 and they still look good.

Hope my luck continues.....
John
Maker of Chips

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Oh I missed the 1.5, that is thick indeed.
I recall fiddling with a battery operated model but lost interest quick, so I have never really routed out base pockets for any of my signs, and have never used any material thicker than .75.
Doug

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Yea, they specifically wanted battery operated so they could be placed around the town center square without running a lot of extension cords for people to trip over. Took a bit of fiddling with the design for the battery pack and wiring, but I'm really happy with the results.
There's a black acrylic plate to cover the battery pack and wiring.
There's a black acrylic plate to cover the battery pack and wiring.
LED control switch
LED control switch
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Don't know what sort of life you get out of that battery pack John but something you might want to experiment with for the future is a single 12v battery rather than 8 1.5v batteries :lol:

Can't remember what brand I use but will check, I use a single 12v battery which is smaller than a AA battery, found them & the holders for them on an electrical factors website, think it was RS Components.

I made a couple of portable Edge lit signs to take to network events & meetings where I could just put them on the table in front of me :lol: :lol:

None of the bases are thicker than 19mm or 3/4" if you prefer :lol: :lol: :lol:

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

martin54 wrote:Don't know what sort of life you get out of that battery pack John but something you might want to experiment with for the future is a single 12v battery rather than 8 1.5v batteries :lol:

Can't remember what brand I use but will check, I use a single 12v battery which is smaller than a AA battery, found them & the holders for them on an electrical factors website, think it was RS Components.

I made a couple of portable Edge lit signs to take to network events & meetings where I could just put them on the table in front of me :lol: :lol:

None of the bases are thicker than 19mm or 3/4" if you prefer :lol: :lol: :lol:
Martin,

I'd really like more info on the battery packs. Are they rechargeable? The reason why I went with the 8 1.5v batteries is these will eventually be given to individuals and they will have to replace/charge the batteries.

Would like to get the base height down to 3/4", but considering the battery pack is almost 3/4" I'm not sure how.

As to battery life, I set up a strip of LEDs in demo mode and they were still going strong after 48 hours. Don't know exactly how long they lasted because we left on a short trip. I can say when we got back 5 days later I was amazed to see the red LEDs were still dimly flashing in the demo. Blue and green were not (difference in voltage requirements).
John
Maker of Chips