Smudge/Sculpt Tool: 2D view versus 3D view

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Chuck Keysor
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRT alpha 60 x 148

Smudge/Sculpt Tool: 2D view versus 3D view

Post by Chuck Keysor »

Hello Aspire Friends.... I have a question which at one level is about the 3D Smudge/sculpting tool, and on the bigger level, it is about eliminating pixelation when making a large 3D model. Because this is long, I’ll break this into two posts. I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks, Chuck

The first attachment is a 3D preview of two artichokes which were identical until I used the “Smudge/Sculpting” tool, to carefully "smudge" the left edge of the right artichoke. In the 3D preview, it looks like the smudging tool has significantly reduced the pixilation on that part of the model.

To quantify how much improvement I had gotten, I placed two identical circles (2" dia.) on the same spot of both artichokes in the 2D view (second attachment), and counted the number of pixels. In both cases, the smudged and the unsmudged 2D views showed 37 pixels in the 2" diameter circle. Yet in the 3D preview, the smudged image clearly shows a much smoother, less pixelated model. This apparent contradiction in the effects of the smudging tool gives rise to my question.

My Questions: Did the smudging tool actually clean up the edge of my artichoke as shown in the 3D preview, or did it make NO difference as shown in the 2D preview? Why do these two views give a different view of my model's pixel density?

Background: The Modeling Resolution in the Job Set-up was set to “Extremely High”. The Preview Simulation Quality was set for “Maximum”. I tilted the 3D model around to make sure that the edges in question are both fully exposed, so it is not simply a matter of my having positioned the 3D model so that the pixels on one model were hidden. The exposed parts of these two artichokes measure a bit more than 4 inches tall, which is life size.
Attachments
3D models- one smudged the other not
3D models- one smudged the other not
2D image of same models shows no help from smudging
2D image of same models shows no help from smudging

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Re: Smudge/Sculpt Tool: 2D view versus 3D view

Post by BrianM »

Hi Chuck,

The 2D Previews are just that - previews. They are always created at a fixed number of pixels (using 500,000 pixels currently) and are only intended as a guide for layout in the 2D view.

The 3D preview shows the actual quality of the component at the current resolution of the base model. Individual components can hold a much higher resolution but when it comes to machining and rendering, the resolution of the base will govern what you see.

Brian

Chuck Keysor
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRT alpha 60 x 148

Re: Smudge/Sculpt Tool: 2D view versus 3D view

Post by Chuck Keysor »

Thank you Brian for your clear and timely reply! So from now on, I will only use the 3D preview for making the evaluation of my model quality/resolution.
Thanks again!!!! Chuck