Aspire preview

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
dflake
Model of CNC Machine: stinger 1

Aspire preview

Post by dflake »

Windows just did an update on my computer and I can not preview my boards/projects any longer, now all I get is the Aspire Logo.

Please help

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Aspire preview

Post by Adrian »

At what stage are you seeing that?

dflake

Post by dflake »

When I am opening a file all I get is the Aspire Icon not the preview of what is in the file.

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

Do you mean the icon itself?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Do you mean the preview of the file in Windows explorer? Try running the VectricShellExtSetup file in the Aspire folder in Program Files. Sometimes the handler for the previews gets messed up with updates and needs a re-install.

dflake

Post by dflake »

Thanks Adrian, I did try that and it did not help. I even rebooted to make sure it took. I still get the Aspire Icon when trying to open a file vice the preview of what is in the file.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

when trying to open a file
I (we) can't see what you see. I (we) are like the group of blind men trying to describe an elephant. I think the "when trying to open a file" is a red herring. I think it should be "while viewing a set of files in Windows Explorer".

I don't see a preview in the following image (notice the little icon in the bottom right corner):
list.GIF
but I do in this image (notice the little icon in the bottom right corner):
icons.GIF
which of these closely matches what you see? Or better yet how about making a screen shot and showing us? I used Microsoft's "Snipping Tool" found in Windows 10 (don't know about earlier versions of Windows).

dflake

Post by dflake »

Adaze_cnc thanks for the "Snipping tool". While in Aspire, I am opening a file, I see the Aspire Icons (pictured) not what is in the actual file or commonly called a "preview".
I do see the first picture you posted but I want to see the second picture you posted.
Attachments
Aspire preview.png

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

If re-installing the previewer doesn't work as you say then you might need to re-install Aspire. That's the only other way I know of getting the preview to reset.

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

dflake wrote:Adaze_cnc thanks for the "Snipping tool". While in Aspire, I am opening a file, I see the Aspire Icons (pictured) not what is in the actual file or commonly called a "preview".
I do see the first picture you posted but I want to see the second picture you posted.
Just to let you know, that's not "opening a file", that's the icons and you are browsing a folder.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

This might help get the thumbnail previews: https://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-explo ... sta-and-7/

dflake

Post by dflake »

Frunple, when I am in Aspire and go to the upper left corner and click "File" then click "Open" it takes me to the files that I can open. Yes you have to browse the folder to open the file, but I am opening a file.
Aspire OPen.png
Aspire open preview.png

Adaze_Cnc Thanks, I followed the examples in your link unfortunately that did not help either.

Adrian Thanks, I re-installed still no help, I guess I will have to just get Aspire 9

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The problem is that the folder you're in looks like it's synced with OneDrive (the green tick boxes). For some reason the previews don't work with folders setup that way. If you save one of your files to a non-synced folder I bet you'll get the preview back.

dflake

Post by dflake »

Thank you very much Adrian, that was the problem. I saved everything to a new folder and I have all my previews back again.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

I wouldn't have suspected OneDrive.

OneDrive seems a bit fickle about displaying thumbnails:
onedrive.GIF
I wonder if the OneDrive servers are generating the metadata for the thumbnail previews and they know about AI files but not CRV files?

Alternatively the AI file was uploaded to OneDrive in 2016 and the CRV file today so perhaps OneDrive is having a problem associating metadata with files created within it in the last N days?

Steven