From Artcam to Aspire...

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: From Artcam to Aspire...

Post by Leo »

martin54 wrote: I find it amazing that they are letting non commercial folks and those under 100K per year use other software for free.

That isn't strictly speaking true Ted, the wording is a bit misleading. If your Business turns over less than 100K a year you can use it for prototyping etc for free BUT as soon as you make something with it & sell it then you have to start paying. :lol: :lol:

I had it for 2 years as it seemed like the only way I would be able to do 3D modelling (didn't have Aspire then), When it came up for me to re-register for the 3rd year they wanted $40 a month for me to continue using it.
Interesting. I have always been a Autodesk products user, and they do like to get people accustomed and familiar with their software. They never really complained too much with earlier versions of AutoCAD when people had pirated copies at home.

I am currently a Solidworks user at the workplace. I use it every day and can legally use it at home, and I do. I am comfortable with it and used to it. I need something for after I retire and Fusion looked like a good fit. It is "similar" to solidworks.

I was suspicious about the other software offering, but I took it. This is in my year 1, so I don't know how it will go in the future.

I am willing to purchase something in the future, but at this time I don't know what that is.

Anyway - I do feel a bit funny about posting this sort of stuff on a Vectric forum.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

They never really complained too much with earlier versions of AutoCAD when people had pirated copies at home.
The AutoCAD license agreement allows you to install and use it at home, in addition to your main installation at work.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

martin54 wrote: I find it amazing that they are letting non commercial folks and those under 100K per year use other software for free.

That isn't strictly speaking true Ted, the wording is a bit misleading. If your Business turns over less than 100K a year you can use it for prototyping etc for free BUT as soon as you make something with it & sell it then you have to start paying. :lol: :lol:

I had it for 2 years as it seemed like the only way I would be able to do 3D modelling (didn't have Aspire then), When it came up for me to re-register for the 3rd year they wanted $40 a month for me to continue using it.
The Startup license is for 1 year, and Autodesk can terminate it at any time.

But for hobbysts, it's free, and apparently indefinitely.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

ger21 wrote:But for hobbysts, it's free, and apparently indefinitely.
It seems it is now also considered as a Startup use by Autodesk, which means a 1 year free use (see Autodesk Web Service Entitlements).
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517