Help, 2 rails sweep carve

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
sbouloc
Model of CNC Machine: X Carve

Help, 2 rails sweep carve

Post by sbouloc »

Hello,

thanks to the valuable help of the forum members, I managed to create my chair seat with the 2 rails sweeps. I just end up with a little leap in the front of the seat I would like to get rid of, so I can skip the final hand carving. I've seen rscrawford post about this (http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... 27#p116138) but I can't make mine as clean.

Thank you for your help.
Attachments
carved seat 2.jpg

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Re: Help, 2 rails sweep carve

Post by joeporter »

Maybe draw a vector around the part you don't want and delete that part of the model inside the vector or a vector to slice the model in two and delete the bad part...joe

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Set the "boundary offset" for the finish path to be just under half the diameter of the ball-end cutter?

sbouloc

Post by sbouloc »

adze_cnc wrote:Set the "boundary offset" for the finish path to be just under half the diameter of the ball-end cutter?
When I apply an offset, it messes up with the rest of the carve, as you can see on the hard-circle contour.
I just can't reproduce Russell's half round on the front and it drives me crazy :roll:
Attachments
carved seat 3.jpg

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Add a Zero plane.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Model/Create Component/Add Zero plane
AddZeroPlane.png
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

sbouloc

Post by sbouloc »

Rcnewcomb wrote:Add a Zero plane.
Hello Rcnewcomb, I have tried to play with the different values of the zero plane, but at any time it did help with that front carve. Any tip on how I should use it?
Thank you.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

If playing with a zero-plane is not working might I suggest making sure that the seat pan and the surrounding flat areas are "bonded" or "joined" together in the model rather than having tehm as separate components?

This would prevent the bit from "rolling" over the top of the sides and back of the seat pan and plunging into the material block.

sbouloc

Post by sbouloc »

The fact is that the bit does not plunge at all even without a zero plane, that’s why it leaves that edge. In fact I want the bit to plunge further

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

You seem to be combining two issues into one statement where you do and do not want the bit to "plunge" or rather "cut" into the mateial:

1) front edge of seat pan not cutting as deeply as you would like thus not completing the contour?

Increase the boundary offet to fix that. It won't be 100% clean but it will be close.

2) arc surrounding sides and back of the seat pan being compromised by bit plunging into material?

Set a zero-plane (I've never had much luck with them) or make the seat pan and the surrounding flat area one combined component so that the bit will ride on the flat area and not try to cut out just the seat pan.

I think I never have luck with zero-planes is that I don't set z-zero at the top of the stock but rather at the bottom.